Opinions on raised hearth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow some really nice hearth pics in this thread. I kinda wish I'd designed for a raised hearth now, based on all the + comments here. I love the way my hearth looks but it would be nice to sit right beside the stove, and I'm not gettin' any younger so the easier loading would be really nice too. live and learn...

Wow some really nice hearth pics in this thread. I kinda wish I'd designed for a raised hearth now, based on all the + comments here. I love the way my hearth looks but it would be nice to sit right beside the stove, and I'm not gettin' any younger so the easier loading would be really nice too. live and learn...

It is never too late to change!

It is never too late to change!
You're right - but there are a thousand projects on the list now (also building the house).. Still, you never know....

Kept it simple..6 inches high..
101_7238.JPG

It's kind of funny but I am in the process of lowering my hearth to make it flush with surrounding floor. Maybe I'll find out that I wish I had raised it, but with a fireplace insert, raising would be more of an issue.

The reason I want it flush though is because of our not so terribly large living room, I didn't want to give up the floor space. There still won't be anything on the hearth but having the walking space actually makes a difference to me.

To each's own.

Do it. My raised hearth is a blessing both for loading with my crapped out knees and ankles and also re-burn stoves throw a ton of heat down and out from the glass. The more distance to the floor in front of it the better.

Is THAT the reason for the high floor R value on the 30 NC?

My hearth is raised about 16" to save bending over. My dog's favorite winter resting place is smack dab in front of the stove. I suppose she is technically combustible but she won't listen when we tell her to move.

Reactions: JA600L
Status
Not open for further replies.