Opinions on the Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BJN644 said:
Wow, $1600 is a good deal, I just looked a painted one and they wanted $2100. I live just north of Augusta, I'll give you a holler if I get down that way. Who is the dealer in NH you bought your stove from ?

https://www.hearth.com/homehearth/

Mine is the cast black model as well. At the time they wanted ~1900 or 2000 for the enamel models.

I only mention the stove because I was also looking at the Leyden, Oslo and some other VC model but kept coming back and looking at the Oakwood. Just though I would give you my .02.

I will be honest I am new to both burning and this forum and surely fall far short of others on this board but will tell you you're in good company.

What about considering the company that manufactures the stove for Harman (Castings) Btw reputed to be superior than there former castings

As for the soft insulation package I have n my 20 year old stove here that the soft secondary combustion package is still in great shape then my other 9 year stove where again almost as good as the day it was purchased. The refractory shoe in the firebox, I watched a 8 lb sledge hammer held waist high smack into it and bounce off. So far none are on record needing to be replaced after 5 years in service

most issues here were user inflicted, if proper care is used I see no reason these soft packages will not las a long time

elkimmeg said:
What about considering the company that manufactures the stove for Harman (Castings) Btw reputed to be superior that there former castings

As for the soft insulation package I have n my 20 year old stove here that the soft secondary combustion package is still in great shape then my other 9 year stove where again almost as good as the day it was purchased. The refractory shoe in the firebox, I watched a 8 lb sledge hammer held waist high smack into it and bounce off. So far none are on record needing to be replaced after 5 years in service

most issues here were used inflicted, if proper care is used I see no reason these soft packages will not las a long time

And who would this company be ?

BJN644 said:
elkimmeg said:
What about considering the company that manufactures the stove for Harman (Castings) Btw reputed to be superior that there former castings

most issues here were used inflicted, if proper care is used I see no reason these soft packages will not las a long time

And who would this company be ?

I believe Elk is speaking of Vermont Castings. I looked at them quite a bit as well and they clearly have a very long standing history. I however was not impressed with the handle mechanism on the front doors.

The handle on the Harmon stove was what impressed me the most, very solid positive feel to it.

In my area burning wood has been popular for years, and Vermont Casting has a bad reputation around here. I'm sure their stoves have improved over the years but I had a friend who had a full time job rebuilding VC stoves in a shop around 10 to 15 years ago.

So buy a harman cast by VC from a company, that has a very uncertain future. Either way you are supporting American manufacturing Jobs.
They are good stoves employing the exact same burn technology as the everburn. Btw VC also cast the refractory cement harman calls fire dome shoe,
used to execute the technology.. Btw these new NCC everburn stoves can not be compared with past mi odels they are not refractory cement seams but bolted together gasket seams d so that you buddy shop of 15 years back has never rebuilt the modern gasket seams non cat stoves all castings are different that the past to incorporate the gasketing and bolting
All critical bolts are stainless steel and coated with 3000 degree never sieze . It is completely un fair to compare this stove with a refractory joint stove back 15 years ago.
entirely different stove. It only resembles the past stove looks only

BJN644 said:
The handle on the Harmon stove was what impressed me the most, very solid positive feel to it.

In my area burning wood has been popular for years, and Vermont Casting has a bad reputation around here. I'm sure their stoves have improved over the years but I had a friend who had a full time job rebuilding VC stoves in a shop around 10 to 15 years ago.

I know it sounds nuts but the feel of the door on the Harman was really what I kept comparing to other stoves I looked at. In my opinion nothing else compared.

Status
Not open for further replies.