Opinions on this ad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
from Craiglist. Seller says "it's seasoned."

I have a pile of wood for sale. I want to sell it all. The pile is approximately 15ft long x 16ft wide x 4 ft high. That would be about 7-7.5 cords. Most of it is split. There is locust, oak, hickory, cherry, poplar, and a little bit of pine (for kindling). This should be enough to last most people all winter and then some. $350.00 firm

This person is about 40 minutes away from me, so even if it's a good deal, that's a lot of time and gas. That's the price of about 2 cords in my local market.

That sounds good to me. No way to how seasoned until you see or check it with a MM. You could always split it with a friend and share the trips. Rent a truck?$? Do you know anyone with a truck and trailer you could borrow?

If you dont mind the issues with hauling it all and its as advertised it sounds like a good deal. With just a full sized pickup that would be quite a few trips. ( At least 10 trips probably)

It may be less hassle to just have the wood man deliver some. Factor in the time/work/fuel of getting the other deal and it becomes a little less attractive

I have a truck. It's not all that big. I don't have a trailer hitch. I could buy a trailer hitch, as I could really use one (to rent a splitter :lol:), but anything I buy at this point means less money for wood.

ANeat said:
It may be less hassle to just have the wood man deliver some. Factor in the time/work/fuel of getting the other deal and it becomes a little less attractive

I keep coming back to this. It kept me from taking advantage of a lot of interesting situations this summer.

Remember youre looking at about 10 tons+ of wood there. Load/unload/stack Would make for a fun weekend ;)

It might be worth checking out the rental price on 5 ton cube van.You would get all your wood
in 2 trips and be done within a day.

For that quantity of wood, regardless of transport, I would also show up with a splitting maul and a moisture meter. You should be able to randomly select splits, split them in half, and get a reasonably low moisture reading off the freshly exposed face of wood. Don't be surprised if it ain't so and be prepared to walk away.

This can be avoided by buying the wood in the spring when at least the wood can be stacked and dried for the summer. Often prices are better then too.

okotoks guy said:
It might be worth checking out the rental price on 5 ton cube van.You would get all your wood
in 2 trips and be done within a day.

True that. But I still would have to move it. :ahhh:

BeGreen said:
Don't be surprised if it ain't so and be prepared to walk away.

This can be avoided by buying the wood in the spring when at least the wood can be stacked and dried for the summer. Often prices are better then too.

Even if it's not seasoned, I think it might be worth getting and holding on to for a bit.

If you could back the cube van right to the pile of wood,it really wouldn't take too long
for 2 people to throw 3-4 cord of wood in it.No need to be overly gentle with rental
equipment after all! ;-)

Kathleen, If I were faced with your dilemna I would grab my 25' tape measure and a friend. Drive out to look at the wood and confirm the dimensions. This would give you a general idea of whether or not it is worth pursuing. Does all of the wood look pretty good or is it punky looking? Has it been stacked on the ground or elevated off the ground? Has it been covered or uncovered all this time? How old does it look? Is it clean or covered with dirt, moss, weeds, etc? Are you able to handle the weight of the rounds? A little input from a friend might reveal something you didn't consider.

If the wood looks good and efficient transportation is readily available at a fair price, I would seriously consider pursuing the deal. If, after all expenses are paid, the wood costs you $75.00 per cord it is still a pretty good deal. The deal "maker" or "breaker" might be the cost of transportation.
John_M

There is no way that "pile" is 7.5 cords. If it was tightly stacked in a perfect rectangle with exactly those dimensions it would be. But if it was in a heaped "pile" as it sounds like it is, you have to discount the slope of the sides PLUS all the air in it from being haphazardly piled. My guess is that this is closer to 5.5 cords. Doesn't make it a bad deal, just less sweet.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

I have a pile of wood for sale. I want to sell it all. The pile is approximately 15ft long x 16ft wide x 4 ft high. That would be about 7-7.5 cords. Most of it is split. There is locust, oak, hickory, cherry, poplar, and a little bit of pine (for kindling). This should be enough to last most people all winter and then some. $350.00 firm

This person is about 40 minutes away from me, so even if it's a good deal, that's a lot of time and gas. That's the price of about 2 cords in my local market.

First, it sounds like a great price.....if what he says is true. Then, is it stacked or thrown into a pile. That will make a huge difference in the quantity.

Now for one of the biggest factors: how much of this pile is locust, oak, hickory and cherry and how much is poplar and pine? The first bunch is good wood but the poplar and pine would not be worth hauling too far unless one needed wood badly. The next factor would be how long since it was split? Being that most has been split that would be one big plus.

If it is good wood with very little popple and pine then it very well could be worth renting a big truck and maybe buying a few beers for some friends to come along to help. Maybe even a few bucks for some local school kids so they can earn some extra money.

So price of wood, price of truck rental, price of gas and possibly some help has to be weighed against the quality and quantity of the wood.

jeff_t said:
$50/cord is pretty darn good. Even green.
+1 and even if its a little short!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Hi Kathleen,

Ask the person for a couple of pics for planning purposes in regards to transport, wood type sorting.
Then if it's a go the moderators suggestion to bring a moisture meter is a pretty good one and be prepared to walk if not satisfied because it's a lot of wood to deal with if most of it's poplar etc...

If nothing else, you will find out who you're friends are when you tell them you are renting a trucking and would like some help moving 14+- tons of wood. $50/cord mostly split is a no brainer regardless of moisture content unless its a NY cord (1/3 cord). UHaul open trailers are a cheap way to move heavy stuff with out getting tagged for miles and they have their own brake system.

That's a pretty good price, K. Talk about getting ahead !!

If I were closer, I'd give you a hand, but it's a bit of a drive ;-)

Thanks all. That's that kind of input I needed. If he still has it this weekend I'll go look at it.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
If I were closer, I'd give you a hand, but it's a bit of a drive ;-)
We have our big apple festival this weekend. It's worth the trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.