Opinions on this chimney cap...please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2cohen

Feb 28, 2008
Southeast West Virginia
My home was built about 20 years ago. At that time, in this area at least, and to some extent still yet, chimney caps were considered "foo-foo trim" items so the chimney was built without them.

As a result, my clay flue liners, two flues in one chimney, do extend up beyond the capping mortar. I see the value and protection of a cap now and I am considering this cap:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39244-82862-SC99L&lpage=none

I am planning to use the leg kits so that I can insert them into the liners and get the caps to stay on.

I know that the stainless model would probably last longer, but I am willing to sacrifice some service life to look better on the house. I have cedar siding with chocolate brown trim work, a mid tone brown/tan shingle roof, and a dark red/brown brick chimney.

I made the mistake of looking at caps online where the missus could look over my shoulder and stumbled across the copper models at the worst time possible. While I think they would look great, I had to put a chain on my wallet to keep it from going to hide somewhere after seeing the prices.

What do you guys think? Thank you in advance.

My rebuilt chimney sounds exactly like yours...the mason that put it in was adamantly against putting a cap on it. I just wanted one ..but didn't have a reason. He went on and on why they were unnecessary and could even cause this or that problem. So I gave up arguing with the guy and my chimneys been fine all these years without a cap.

I was going to pay this guy money good coin to put a cap on and he said ...over his dead body.

I have an exterior 7x7 inch interior diameter clay lined chimney. My sweep told me to get rid of the cap during burning season and put it back on when spring comes and the birds start nesting. I look around at literally hundreds of capless chimneys here in south pennsylvania and wonder what the deal is, why no cap on all those???

Anyway, I DO have a cap on my chimney, guess it's just me, but I don't want water getting down there, or any critters either.

My cap looks just like the one in your pic there however I have the stainless.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can see and understand the point of the mason about the cap during burning season. I can see it as a creosote trap but at the same time, I don't want cold snow and or rain entering a warm to hot flue and cracking my liner. I am amazed at how nice of a condition it is in after all these years of exposure.

I too have been looking at the stainless ones, but I just don't think that the stainless look will go with my home. I know that I am going to sacrifice life span for the galvanized painted black, but I just think that it will go with the house better.

Again, thanks for the replies.

If I don't like an opinion, hey that's my problem, I asked.

IMO a cap is a cap.... that one looks fine to me. We take black and SS ones off all the time and usually are all in good shape. One of the installers has a barn full of them that he resells on occasion on the side.

I have a cap just like the one you are looking at, this is the reason: One day I saw a squirrel climb up a tree, jump on the roof and run down the chimney. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the clean-out, figured that would drive him out of there. Later I removed a trash bag full of tree branches,a and one dead squirrel.

I have a similar cap as you posted but it is 8X12 and in black painted stainless. I think I got it from my local fireplace shop. Large enough mesh grate that does not plug up (especially if you are burning correctly). The better units also do not need the legs that you mentioned. Any minor residue of creosote easily wire brushes off. Prior to installing new stove and flue I had quite a creosote build up on my cap. I finished cleaning it off by placing it on top of my paper burning barrel and letting it catch on fire. Brushed it, and sprayed some minor touch up black paint on it and it looked like new. Go for the stainless, they are nearly indestructible. Could be in the $55. range for my size a few years back.

I live in a high wind area and kept losing those.
(either that or aliens snatched 'em on the fly-by)

I ended up standing bricks up on the four corners, mortared in and then a two inch concrete removable pad on top of them.

I could have made a wire cage if need be to fit around the perimeter but never did.

I didn't want it for rain, birds or critters.
Even though pops and ember fly-aways are less common compared to stirring up coals in a fireplace, I just didn't want pine needles near the house burning. Paranoid. Hitting the concrete was enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.