opinions on true north TN20 (pacific energy) stove-please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
;? I didn't mention pipe size. Is this 6" or 8" chimney - ID? If 8", maybe now is the time to replace with 6" chimney pipe? That will bring clearances into line.

Re: pyrolysis. Wood gets drier over time and with continued exposure to heat it's ignition temperature drops. I can't say this will ever be safe, even with a new stove. And then what happens with the first space out leaving the air open or with the first chimney fire? Hopefully this won't happen, but it's why these tested safety margins are in place.
ya I was thinking about going to 6" for clearance at ceiling.
tn20 is 6", just was not planning on 3-400 bucks for pipeing, thanks again

begreen gave you a really good simple answer to what pyrolysis is

Re: pyrolysis. Wood gets drier over time and with continued exposure to heat it's ignition temperature drops. I can't say this will ever be safe, even with a new stove. And then what happens with the first space out leaving the air open or with the first chimney fire? Hopefully this won't happen, but it's why these tested safety margins are in place.

OK thanks folks, it makes sense, really appreciate all your help, looks like I will have to pull out the 8" pipeing and go with new 6" and that will give me more than 2" clearance.

OK thanks folks, it makes sense, really appreciate all your help, looks like I will have to pull out the 8" pipeing and go with new 6" and that will give me more than 2" clearance.

More work to be sure . . . and money . . . but you can sleep a little better at night knowing you have a safe and correct installation.

Getting that clearance right will make the house safer and more sellable as well as making your insurance happier. A side benefit will be better draft on the stove.

@BigDogYooper have you had any more experience with your new TrueNorth stove? I'm considering one for a 600 sq foot area downstairs (or more if I open the door to the garage to work in there), and have seen really mixed reviews (some say it's hard to light, and smokes if the wood isn't practically "kiln dried"). I've been reading a lot, but still as a newbie to this stuff it's hard to decide whether this is worth ~$1200US from a local dealer, or if a $600 big box store stove will be just as good.

Most complaints against new stoves are due to poor draft and/or poorly seasoned wood. A poor worker always blames his tools first.

Reactions: dchanmer1
BigDogYooper, I am looking at purchasing the TN20 this weekend as my first wood stove. I will be buying the insert with the blower to heat a 1000sq ft house. Have you since had any problems with the stove? Thanks

Anyone know the dimensions of the viewing glass on the tn20?

The viewing area dimension or the actual size of the glass ?
From the 2015 TN20 manual(s):
Series A:
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 11.23.06 PM.png

Series B: (page 4 )
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 11.33.49 PM.png

The Pyroceram (or whatever brand they use) is about $125-$150 ( pretty sure that's the kit price with the gasket and maybe larger /new clips for the 4 screws )

Hello, I"am looking at buying the kinda newer true north TN20 stove by pacific energy, there are some great reviews from the first one (TN19) on this site but they are 4 yrs old, would like to hear remarks good and bad after a few years of use, I dont know what if any difference between TN19 & TN20.
Thanks for any help, cowboy billy hows yours working out???
BigDogYooper - considering selling told Fisher Grandpa Bear (1776) and getting a PE TrueNorth20 - did you go with this and how are you liking it years later?