Opinions on Wood Stove Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KidsAIR

Aug 20, 2014
Montana
What is your experience with the use of wood stove thermometers? Can they accurately be used for all types of stoves (e.g., non-EPA certified, EPA certified, single vs. double wall pipe)? Which wood stove thermometers would you recommend and why?

Disclosure: These questions are being asked to get additional feedback and tips on best burn practices for a study focused on improving indoor air quality and respiratory outcomes.

Double wall pipe needs a probe type thermometer to be of much use. Single wall's fine with a magnetic. Magnetic will tell (roughly) the pipe surface temperature. Probe will tell the temperature of the flue gas stream. The thermometer, whatever type, is simply measuring temperature, it doesn't care what the source is. Thermometers can be a very important tool for the stove operator to monitor the stove performance and progress of the burn, as well as alert the operator to an overfiring condition, which can become dangerous and requires operator action. Thermometer type and placement are really operators' preference details. Once the stove operator has come to "know" how the system performs and gotten used to the normal temp readings through the burn stages, the thermometer is a very useful indicator....especially so in the regulation of combustion airflow through the burn. Rick

In response to both of your questions -

Any woodstove, properly built, properly installed, properly operated, and properly maintained will have no adverse effect on indoor air quality in the living space in which it is installed. The EPA regulations concerning solid fuel-burning appliances were implemented over concern for outdoor air quality as impacted by the particulate emissions to daylight from the flues. Stove design has come a long way in that regard, with the more modern EPA-certified stoves burning much more efficiently and cleanly than their predecessors. This, while it has a lot to do with lowered wood consumption, cleaning requirements, and other details of stove ownership/operation, really has nothing to do with indoor air quality. If indoor air quality is impacted in any way by a woodstove, something's wrong with the stove, the installation, or the way it's being operated/maintained. Rick

What is your experience with the use of wood stove thermometers? Like 'em. I feel as though they help me burn cleaner and more efficiently as I know at what temps I can start to cut back on the air to initiate the cleaner burning secondary burn vs. just guessing at what point I could do so. They also allow me to know that the temp in the stack is in the Goldilocks Zone -- not so cool that it is producing creosote and not so hot that it could ignite what creosote is already there. Can they accurately be used for all types of stoves (e.g., non-EPA certified, EPA certified, single vs. double wall pipe)? Yes . . . to a degree. If you want truly accurate ones you will pay for them. I have had decent luck with my Condar thermometer on the stove which was within 25-50 degrees of the infrared thermometer when I have compared the two . . . other folks may or may not have similar results. As mentioned, double wall pipe = need for a probe style thermometer. Based on my sweeping, I am guessing that it is more or less on track in terms of letting me know when I am in the zone. In any case, I certainly wouldn't try to make a souffle or pie using these thermometers as for me they give me a general idea of the temp that I am at vs. a hard and fast number. Which wood stove thermometers would you recommend and why? As mentioned, Condar has been good for me . . . other folks may or may not have the same experience.

Disclosure: These questions are being asked to get additional feedback and tips on best burn practices for a study focused on improving indoor air quality and respiratory outcomes.

Once again, there are tons of threads on this topic. Please read up.

When using my fomer Jotul F-3 stove, the owners manual indicated where to exactly place the thermometer - don't forget to check the manual!

Status
Not open for further replies.