Opinions please on a stove change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cire3

Jan 11, 2010
MI
www.cire3pc.com
I have a Regency F2400, not at all a bad stove. Doesn't hold as much as I would like but all in all not a bad stove.

I can get a deal on a Mountaineer VG650ELG

Here are the specs. http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/steel-stoves/mountaineer-stove/4,22.html

Now is this a good step or do I have a better "more sound stove" with the regency ?

I know there are some real experienced peeps here. I hope to get advice before I jump. My last jump wasn't good.....lol

I know some stoves are just problems from what I read and I'm not looking for more issues..... I have enough of those :)

By the way, what turned me on to this is the larger box with 22" logs

A buddy of mine has that stove and it has no secondary burn tubes/chamber or cat. The stove looks real nice but he is always complaining about the heat, I think it is his setup though. It is a real nice looking stove but I don't think it is an EPA approved stove. I thought the heat output was fine and the box is a good size IMO

The site said EPA, so I assumed it had secondary burn ? Back to the internet....lol Have to have the secondary burn, wont give that up

That's a pretty serious sounding stove with the 104Kbtu claim but I think I'd be inclined to look for an EPA stove that meets the criteria for the tax rebate if nothing else. Besides the $ savings you are likely to get more efficient burns - less wood processing and hauling per BTU.

Cire3 said:
The site said EPA, so I assumed it had secondary burn ? Back to the internet....lol Have to have the secondary burn, wont give that up

The Mountaineer page states this:
Vogelzang stoves meet EPA requirements for "exempt" wood/coal burning appliances (stoves).

"EPA Certified" is much better than "exempt".

I'm not sure how Vogelzang Boxwoods, Pot Bellies and Smoke Dragons get "exempt" status. Maybe they are classed as cook stoves?

Yeah, that's EPA exempt which means it's rigged to give a large amount of air so it always burns hot and clean. It will eat wood like an open fireplace. Your Regency is much better quality, maybe look into the next size up?

That's the kind of info I was looking for. I think I'll stick with the regency for a while longer. If it was a good deal I didn't want to pass it up.

It does make sense that to meet that clean burn it's cooking some wood. Also explains the heave BTU.

Forum saved me from a fatal jump once again, and again thanks !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.