Opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
I recently moved two 500 gallon propane tanks into my basement and am about to start the plumbing work to use them for storage. I wanted to remove the old plugs in them and replace them with new ones, bushings, etc. I was able to remove all but one. The last one just wouldn't come out no matter what I did- heat, cold, penetrating oil, etc. I ended up breaking off the square lug on top of it and had to drill it out. The center was made of of cast iron, which I was able to remove. The threaded section was made of steel and still stuck, threaded into the fitting on the tank. I used a sawzall to make 4 radial cuts through it, trying to stop just shy of the thread in the fitting welded in the tank. This worked just fine and I was able to easily remove the threaded sections. But, of course I cut into the threads in the tank fitting, perpendicular to them, maybe 1/32" deep. Now I am concerned that when I put the new plug in, it may leak. What does everyone think? Am I going to have to weld this shut?

Thanks...

I was planning to put a bushing in the opening and use it for a temp well or air vent but I have other openings I can use so it isn't critical. I just don't want to use it if it's a good bet it will leak.

if you can thread a bushing in it pick up some "propxy". this stuff is awesome. put it on the bottom couple threads and crank it down. try not to let poxy squish out the top. this way you have room to use thread string, if it leaks. they also make a thread repair kit. kind of like liquid opoxy, but I have never had good luck with it. or you could weld the bushing in/

if you can thread a bushing in it pick up some "propxy". this stuff is awesome. put it on the bottom couple threads and crank it down. try not to let poxy squish out the top. this way you have room to use thread string, if it leaks. they also make a thread repair kit. kind of like liquid opoxy, but I have never had good luck with it. or you could weld the bushing in/

Have a link? I find nothing with a google search....

Thanks for the links....That is one way to make sure there are no leaks through the threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.