Opossums in my firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wallace

Burning Hunk
Jan 20, 2013
Shoreline, WA
The last few nights my dogs were going crazy around the wood stacks. I've seen a large opossum in my trees and on my fence in the past, which the dogs chase away. This time there was a small one under my stacks making a growling noise when I or the dogs got close. Two nights ago he was under some loose firewood on the ground. We corralled the dogs inside, I lifted the firewood off his hiding spot and we encouraged him to exit the yard through the gate. He trotted off into the neighbor's yard which has a lot of bushes to hide in. I figured his encounter with my dogs would convince him it's not safe to come back to our yard. I was wrong. He was back the next night under my wood stack again. Had to leave the dogs inside at night just so we could sleep, as there was no way I could get him out of the spot he was in without moving 3/4 of a cord of wood.

I believe I can block off the ends of my stacks at the base to prevent opossums from entering that direction. It may still be possible for them to enter between firewood splits at the base, though. Anyone have any tips for getting opossums to stop hanging around, short of removing all my firewood? If it wasn't for the dogs, I'd rather like having the opossums around, as I've read they eat: spiders, mice, rats, snakes, snails, slugs and various insects. Sounds like a good guy to have around. My dogs are convinced otherwise, though.

Mothballs?

Otherwise:

creamed possum.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Havahart trap ON TOP of stacks - less chance of getting a skunk. Not fun.

I'd suggest high-speed lead poisoning but that's the farm background talking....

Call animal control for a trap. That is what their tax paid salary is for.

Was going to ask how you like possum stew, but Knots beat me to it.

I have a Have-a-Heart trap, for the sole reason that I seem to catch my own dogs as often as the intended target, but anything caught in the trap is immediately introduced to the unfriendly end of a rifle. It's unfortunately illegal to relocate big rodents, around here.

Ditto on the skunk comment. Last thing you want to deal with is a pissed off skunk in a Have-a-Heart trap.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
I seem to catch my own dogs as often as the intended target, but anything caught in the trap is immediately introduced to the unfriendly end of a rifle.

You must go through a lot of dogs? :)

Lol... as much as I'd like to be rid of the current duo, that came out wrong. [emoji1]

Reactions: BrotherBart
Jed and Granny knew what's what:

second_day.jpg

Reactions: osagebow
I didnt know it was against the law to relocate rodents, its only against the law if you get caught.
My dad used to relocate skunks all the time in the havaheart traps. They cant spray in them. They have to be able to lift up their tails to spray.

One night my wife left some cat food on the deck for the cat, out of no where there were 6 of those rodents on my deck, the dog chased them and they scattered. Unfortunately my dog chases skunks too and one night she caught one, or I should say the skunk caught her right in the face. That was a year ago and I still smell skunk on her when she gets wet. My neighbor ended up relocating 4 of the skunks with the hav a heart traps.

FWIW Opossums are marsupials, not rodents. They have a short gestation followed by nursing in a pouch. Rodents, people, and most other mammals have a placenta to nourish young.
Skunks are placentals in the weasel family, and have no gnawing rodent teeth. Both do really dig cat food!
Sorry, Bio geek here,no offense intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakeside and Ashful
If you really want it gone, .22 rifle or pellet gun if you want to be quiet/ not draw attention.

My dog is usually inside at night, so I'd just leave him be. I have a few opossums around here, no problem with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.