Opportunity to buy corn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serveprotect

Sep 26, 2012
I own a Mt. Vernon AE. Farmer is selling bagged corn that is a few years old and claims it is dry. My questions are: what are corn prices going for a ton, what settings should I run if I mix with pellets at various rates, do I need to clean corn? Says there might be a few clumps in pellets but his auger moves them fine. Hes Asking 140 a ton bagged.

That's a good price for bagged corn. A standard bu. is 56 pounds for corn. Market price for corn is around 4.30/bu. and elevator buying for 3.85/bu. If it survived storage a few years its moisture will be 13 percent or lower as 13 is the most corn be stored at without molding. Now the weight per volume this year in our area is low-poor. Been reports of it coming in at 44 lbs per bu. Last year was record breaking at 63. Cleaning is for top loading pots as the cracked corn could fly out the pot. I have a Bixby and needs good whole corn or pellet or will spit out of the pot. Make sure you have multifuel venting or use small blend as corn burn with a lot of acid. Good luck

So market for 2000lbs (ton) is running 154? If I get it bagged can I store it in a garage? If I get bulk I can get a discount but not sure about storage options.

Is moisture the main concern for storage? What moisture level is acceptable to burn?

So market for 2000lbs (ton) is running 154? If I get it bagged can I store it in a garage? If I get bulk I can get a discount but not sure about storage options.
Bagging costs $$. Keep it dry just like pellets. 13 percent or lower for decent burn. Mice are a winter problem and insects for summer. I long term store in lidded barrels and handful of moth balls keeps most everything out. Last corn I bought was 4.40/bu three years ago and still burning great. CL seems to have non food grade barrels cheap.

Guys, thx for the info. Any advice on mt Vernon settings? I plan on mixing with pellets and would prefer not to use corn mode.

Got a bag to try. Corn is dry. prob 5 percent soybean in it too. There are a few mold chunks I have to screen out. Not sure if I should get more . Am I OK to burn little amount of soy if I mix pellets? Not sure If I shed go this route.

Beans burn with high ash and sooty(high oil), should be ok with the small amount that's blended in. Mold chunks probably from bin sides. That mold is not good for respiratory.

Just one listing near me (I'm in the boondocks). 15 bucks, and about 20 miles away. Not bad.

Well I couldn't wait to try it out so i gave the Stove a good cleaning to prepare for the trial burn. I mixed shovel for shovel corn and pellets. I do want to rig something up to clean the small chaff in there. I saw someone on u tube with a home Made 5 fall bucket cleaner. Looks like there is a lot of info from I burn corn but the site is down.

Corn keeps dropping, $3.45 a bushel now and the farmer I talked to thinks it is going to go lower.

Could be as South America is having a good start. But China needs more. Good thing we can trade them for something other than our scrap cars. I think the crop report comes out in a week or so. Crop is all over the board as far as the weight and bu./acre in my four county area. The May snow put the crop behind. Don,t know if elevator will have any to sell as farmers are holding a lot to try and get better price latter.

The ones that have the storage are holding on, some are paying the elevator to store their corn hoping the price will rise before they need to sell it. The farmer I talked to was in a hurry to get what was left in the field out before it dropped anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.