Options for 2800-3000 sq ft of heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
Looking for some options to heat my future new construction home. It will be 2 levels and end up in the upper 2700-3000 sq ft range when finished. I will be heating from the basement with it all finished mostly open with the exception of a bedroom or 2, a 3/4 bath and a utility room all located next to eachother. The stove will be directly inline with the centerally located stairs leading to the upper level.
I have the PE Summit, quadra-fire 5700 step-top, and really want the ideal steel hybrid, all in my sights. Want to keep the stove itself under 3k. Hoping the IS can do it but uncertain at this point. I will get some picks up of the layout tomorrow. Any and all reccomendedations appreciated!

I guess it will mostly depend on how well the place will be insulated. A heat-load analysis will help. If the IS is not enough you are looking at the 4+ cu ft category (BK King, Hearthstone Equinox etc.) Have you thought about a wood furnace?

Reactions: Knots
I will make sure I am well insulated. I have been reading about the IS and gathered they are quite conservative on their #s. I am ok with running a fan or two to help move the air. If it came with a blower I'd be sold on it for sure. I think that is going to be a big factor in my set up. I actually designed my own floor plan with a woodstove in mind.
An add on furnace has crossed my mind but I like having the view of a fire. I will be on natural gas so relatively cheap back up. I just enjoy being a solely wood heater.

I'm heating 2850 with the king from first floor in two story home new construction. Working exceptionally well for me.

I have looked at the king but its going to be way over budget especially with an 8" chimney and what not. Not really a fan of the looks and a fully dark firebox either. I like to relax to the dancing flames.

If building new, design the house with good convection in mind. The basement should have a large open stairway. Plan on running the chimney up the middle of the house. Insulate well, paying particular attention to good sealing and avoiding thermal bridging. Then do a heat loss calculation so that you can accurately size the stove.

I think with 3000 sq. ft. In Wisconsin I would forego the calculation and only be looking at 4cu.+ stoves as was mentioned. That's a stretch for any wood stove in your climate. Regency makes a hybrid beast looks like it was built to compete with the king. 5100 Or something?, don't hear too much about it though. Of course that would bust your budget as well. I almost pulled the trigger on the quad step top you mentioned, it's got really good clearance minimums if I remember. Big budget friendly stoves, osburn 2400, drolet ht 2000, nc30. Good luck!

For a new construction house I would pack in all the insulation you can and make sure it's super tight so you don't have to be burning too many cords through anything.

It's surprising how little heat is required when a house is thoughtfully designed to prevent heat transference to outdoors and well sealed. Do it right once and the savings is money in the bank for the life of the house.

I agree with what people above said. I built a house recently. 2x8 walls with another 3/4" foam under the drywall. 4" foam around the entire foundation. Good insulated garage doors. R39 in the attic (I'm upping it to R47 this spring). Good windows.

Not as big as yours. 1400 ft on first floor. Heating from the center of the basement. 36" wide stairwell. The heat climbs right up the stairs with no fan.

I'm not using much wood and the house doesn't seem to care whether the wind is blowing or not. I'm so used to burning harder when the wind blows with my last house, but it's not necessary now.

I have an attached garage at one end and a garage under at the other. They stay at 40 degrees just from the "bleed-through" from the basement. It's so nice to start your car at 40 when it's -15 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.