Options for controling output from cast iron rads?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Hi All
I'm wondering what different ways the heat can be controlled on a zone of rads.
I have a manifold in my house that is supplied by a Alpha 15 55.The manifold has 12 1/2" valves.The Alpha is supplied by a continues circulating loop from the boiler building.
One the main floor is one bedroom and bathroom,the rest is open concept with 25" to ridge pole.2/3 loft will be closed off with insulated wall and will have master bedroom and bath.
All heating will be done with cast iron rads.I'd like to be able to control each bedroom bath and the main room.And am thinking about a toe kick unit for the kitchen.
I currently have a themostat controlled zone valve in our basement.I have seen some that mount inline near the rads but don't know anything about them.
The simpler the better.
Thanks Thomas

TRV's may be just the ticket for you. One for each rad & every rad is it's own zone. From there you decide how warm you want each zone & adjust the TRV accordingly.

Hi all
Old post but am getting close to needing the supplies to install rads.
Does anyone have experiance with TRV's ?Am looking for recomendations on pro's and con's of different makes or models
Thanks Thomas

Since you have one loop and not a home run manifold you may need a bypass for each rad so the water can go to the next rad even if the trv is closed. I included a picture of the bypass on my rads. I was going to take a pic of the trv but my batteries are dead. They come with different size threads so be sure to get ones the will fit. I didn't realize there were different sizes and got the wrong size. I had a friend make me some addapters at a machine shop. I have honeywell and they work good.

Attachments

• 100_5364.jpg
    100_5364.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: ewdudley
If you are feeding off a manifold, you do not need a bypass TRV, just an on/off one.
I would strongly suggest an outdoor reset control to be used in conjunction with the TRV's this will keep the radiators
radiating and maintain better comfort, without overheating.
Check ebay, this might be a good time of year to pick up some for a good price.

Got my batteries charged a couple more pics.

Attachments

• 100_6590.JPG
    100_6590.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_6589.JPG
    100_6589.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 110
Status
Not open for further replies.