Options for re-lining Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan98gt

Dec 13, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Hello all, brand new member, although I have spent the last week or two browsing all the threads here. I keep coming back here to educate myself best I can. Here is my question and background:

I am finishing up restoring a 1902 Kalamazoo Wood Stove that was in my cabin. It has an 8" outlet on it and I plan on reducing it to 6" because my chimney measures approx 7" x 9" inside. Speaking of my chimney, it is masonry, 15ft. tall, and has the clay lining inside it. No noticeable cracks in the liner but some creosote buildup in there. Previous homeowner left me with a nice looking chimney sweep (I just moved bought the house 3 weeks ago) to clean it. The "pass through" for the pipe is an 11 3/4" x 11 3/4" steel lined box with an 8" diameter opening in the middle of it for the pipe.

I am going to be installing a fireboard behind and below the stove (room is made of logs) with the 1/2" clearance behind it to provide ventilation with the stove being placed 12-18" away from the fireboard. My question, as probably with most people: what is the cheapest and safest way to run chimney pipe? I ask because I have heard the following:

1) If my clay liner is fine, don't mess with it.
2) I need to re-line it with a new chimney liner (FlexKing, etc.).
3) I heard from a few old-timers who ran theirs for 25 years or more that they used stainless steel pipe dropped down the middle of clay lined chimney.

Option 3 sounds the best...The clay liner (once cleaned out) provides one aspect of protection and a stainless steel pipe (or single wall pipe) dropped in provides another layer of protection. Am I wrong to think this??? Please advise! Thanks!

Hi,
A SS liner is a great idea for several reasons:
1.smaller cross section means warmer/cleaner flue
2.much easier to clean properly
3.additional layer of protection in event of a flue fire

Be aware that reducing to 6" will slightly limit the capacity of the stove, and that you may need to slow it down a bit and/or slowly crack the door a bit to avoid smoking when you need to add wood. Many old stoves are actually very well engineered and constructed, and usually look extra cool- kudos for doing the work to preserve it.
Btw, is the nice looking chimney sweep single? ;-)
Stay warm,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.