Options for us? Stove, insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy09

Jan 5, 2009
Central IN
The house we recently purchased was built in 1993 and has a prefab fireplace in it. It is a heat-n-glo model em42. There was a gas log set installed when we move in which suck. No heat at all. The opening dimensions are 34w and 15.5h. There is a thing metal trim piece that the doors seal against that looks like it could be removed. When measure the height from the top of firebrick to the top of opening with the removed we are more like 18in. Inside is 20d and 30 in wide in the back. The hearth brick stand out about 20 inches in front of fireplace.

See below for pictures. I have 3 potential ideas but not sure which would be the best option at a reasonable expense. I would like feedback about these options and also recommendations for other options if you have any.

1) instal an pellet insert with new chimney liner- not sure the opening of the old unit is large enough for this

2) put a free standing stove on the hearth in front of this one. Run the pipe into it and up the chimney. Then can maybe brick off around it?

3) brick over the existing fireplace. Put a stove on the hearth. Run the pipe off to the side and out beside the windo? Not sure if this possible

b5b1f5959a144e10335a7f21285cdbc4_zpsa6f7d31f.jpg

760fe8dca37065f89d7532f95d2a83fc_zpsf96337cd.jpg

Not sure on what would fit..not an expert. Zero clearance pellet insert, vented up what is there and you now have heat. The experts here will make me look bad. A 4" vent is what you need..room?

The logs are propane. It is cheaper for is to use our electric heat pump then to instal new propane insert. That's why we are looking for a pellet option.

18" high is very small are you sure on the height?

Counting the brick in your photo I'm thinking more like a 22" height.

Yes, measured several times. If you look at the second picture the opening behind the doors is 15.5 inches. That black piece that hangs down is about 2 inches and about .5 inches at the bottom where the doors seal against.

The doors themselves are 19inches tall

Other questions that will come up are..what size area would you like to heat, what is the layout, insulation..etc. This site has taught me a ton.. Love it!

What I'm really do is ..........free bumps...waiting for the experts==c

I thing I'm sure of is not enough room for a freestanding.

I don't mean to question your measurement's..just seems like a very odd size.

House is 2 story. This room is the living room and is about 18x25 with 10 foot ceilings. Master bedroom is off of this and stairs are opposite end of room. Overall house is about 2300 square feet. Really only wanting to keep the living room and mb room heated. Don't use upstairs much in winter

The old be pulled out?

In my searches I'm not finding a insert that would even fit the 19inches of the doors. Can the whole unit be pulled out?

Yes, most definitely & I can tell you that once the old is removed your opening is bigger than what our fireplace was, I have the Harman Accentra insert.

I'm no help, but curious: pellet inserts are different than wood inserts which have to go into an existing fireplace, even zc, with only specific modifications?

Once you get your old insert out you will then know what you have for an opening and full firebox
size. You're not getting the full dimensions now and at best, estimating what they might be. Most likely you can go either with a pellet insert or with a free standing stove. However, for the latter you would need to extend your hearth at the least., Rebuild and extend your old hearth or go over your old hearth to get your stove safely out over the floor more than now..

With what area you are looking to heat an insert would work well.

I don't think what is there is an insert. It's a prefab zero clearance unit built framed into the wall during initial construction.

Once you get your old insert out you will then know what you have for an opening and full firebox
size. You're not getting the full dimensions now and at best, estimating what they might be. Most likely you can go either with a pellet insert or with a free standing stove. However, for the latter you would need to extend your hearth at the least., Rebuild and extend your old hearth or go over your old hearth to get your stove safely out over the floor more than now..

Yes, most definitely & I can tell you that once the old is removed your opening is bigger than what our fireplace was, I have the Harman Accentra insert.
Rooster is right.Quit wasting time with guesses and pull unit out.Your space is much bigger than you think.Go to web site and it will give you dimensions.

I don't think what is there is an insert. It's a prefab zero clearance unit built framed into the wall during initial construction.
Just curious, as it's hard to tell from your photos. How deep is the hearth from in front of the existing unit ( at the front edge of the unit) to the edge in front by the floor ? From the photo it's looks too shallow to fit a stove on there but maybe not in reality.

20.5 inches from front of existing fireplace to front edge of hearth

Just curious, as it's hard to tell from your photos. How deep is the hearth from in front of the existing unit ( at the front edge of the unit) to the edge in front by the floor ? From the photo it's looks too shallow to fit a stove on there but maybe not in reality.

Yes, measured several times. If you look at the second picture the opening behind the doors is 15.5 inches. That black piece that hangs down is about 2 inches and about .5 inches at the bottom where the doors seal against.

The doors themselves are 19inches tall
I believe JF is a tile mason, so he's going by the number of bricks he can see, once you remove the gas insert. It sounds like you are measuring the opening including the insert?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.