options to store split wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide on where to put my 18 month wood. It has been outside uncovered for 18 months and only yesterday was split. I'm debating whether to store it in my 44' long shed(basically a long weatherproof tarp with aluminum pipe framework). It is weatherproof but it also doesn't allow for real hot air or hot sun to enter it either. Its either that or just leave it out in the open, no shade from trees, under a tarp (just the tops covered).

whats the better place? Also, the shed is kinda far from my door to the house. When its cold out, you want that walk a little closer.

Input is appreciated.

thanks

Answer: Whatever works best for you . . . in either case I would keep the split wood loosely stacked outside as long as possible before covering/hauling inside the shed.

For me personally, I would stack the wood loosely for now and go with a shed . . . but then again a lot depends on how far the shed is from the home, how much snow you get (i.e. how much snow you will have to clear off the wood if stacked outside vs. how much snow you may have to shovel for a path to the shed), how convenient the shed will be in terms of keeping the wood ice and snow-free, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.