Orange mold on cordwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Jun 27, 2006
Moldy firewood has been covered before...

here

and here

The mold I have is kind of a rusty-orange color and is quite "hairy"!

The wood is a mix of oak and ash, rounds and splits, bark-on and bark-off.

I have pulled all the molded splits out of the pile and moved the rack away from the privacy fence and into the open. (I believe that was the problem)
I always have the top of the stack covered with a tarp and the wood is up off the ground at least 8 inches.

Is this a different type of mold than the "black-spots" in the other posts?

Attachments

• firstpictures 021.jpg
    firstpictures 021.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,383
Not all of the time but normally if your getting growth on your firewood then there are issues with the drying process.

Its best to keep wood stacks away from sides of houses / garages / building / fences / ect as to make sure to keep air flow open with in the wood pile.

Tarps can also cause issues with wood piles and its best to dry wood open to the air and sun all summer and if the need for a tarp make sure its just the very top of the pile that is covered with out covering the sides .

I wouldn't worry about it overmuch - that mold burns real nicely....

Gooserider

That mold looks pretty serious. It may need an EPA certified removal. However, I can save you the trouble. Have it crated up and ship it to me. I'll cover the freight at up to $150/cord.

Roos: Yes, I believe the main problem was that I had the log-rack right up against a wooden privacy fence. When it rains, the fence will stay wet for days. I have now moved it out into the open. Only the top rows are ever covered with a tarp.

Goose: Maybe I have accidentally invented a log with its own built-in firestarter! Hmmm ... what to do with all those $millions$.

Green: Packing peanuts or bubble-wrap? UPS or Priority Mail?

Just strap it into a big bundle and freight will be fine. :)

Maybe when you burn it it will give off some nice sparks

Enjoy the show!:coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.