Orange or Blue secondary flames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Just wondering why my secondary flames with some loads are primarily orange while at other times with a different load of wood, the flames will be blue.

Insert temps. have been the same when I have noticed this so it doesn't appear to be related to the temp.

Could possibly have to do with the gases coming off the wood. If you have a lot of 'heavy' or high molecular weight gas, that tends to dump a lot of carbon in the flame and make a yellow/orange color (ie candles, kerosene lamp - heavy oil type stuff). Once those are gone and/or if you are burning wood which just naturally has less 'heavy' hydrocarbons, you get to the lighter ends which doesn't have as much carbon and tends to give a more blue flame (ie natural gas, methane, propane) Air flow may have some to do with it, too - as you can have a natural gas flame, choke off the air, and make it burn yellow. Same is true with the wood stove.

But I know what you are talking about - I've seen yellow, orange, blue, purple, white and sometimes blue/purple with white speckles. It can be an interesting show.

cozy heat said:
Could possibly have to do with the gases coming off the wood. If you have a lot of 'heavy' or high molecular weight gas, that tends to dump a lot of carbon in the flame and make a yellow/orange color (ie candles, kerosene lamp - heavy oil type stuff). Once those are gone and/or if you are burning wood which just naturally has less 'heavy' hydrocarbons, you get to the lighter ends which doesn't have as much carbon and tends to give a more blue flame (ie natural gas, methane, propane) Air flow may have some to do with it, too - as you can have a natural gas flame, choke off the air, and make it burn yellow. Same is true with the wood stove.

But I know what you are talking about - I've seen yellow, orange, blue, purple, white and sometimes blue/purple with white speckles. It can be an interesting show.

Vary interesting. I will try to pay attention to the type of wood I am loading with and see how that changes things.

Thanks for the reply.

^^ Ahh yes. that link reminds me of the other half of my thought. Chemicals - you can get a whole rainbow of colors from them. Sodium and potassium are by far the largest contributors. Sodium leads to the boring yellow, potassium is probably a contributor to the violet color. But if the wood happens to have a bit of other trace metals, those could tint the flame as well.

Link to some common colors

http://webmineral.com/help/FlameTest.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.