Ordered 5 ton Green Teams...Lowes Delivered Green Supremes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma869

Feeling the Heat
Aug 27, 2011
Massachusetts
I did some research on this forum and decided to purchase Green Teams from Lowes for a very competitive price. The consensus seems to be they are a great pellet (for the price). Most seem to think they were better than the Green Supremes, which is why I opted for the Green Teams. I had no idea what they were until after the driver left my property. I suspect given that Lowes sells them for the same price that they're not going to refund any money to me? Interestingly enough, the shrink wrap they come in shows that the Green Supremes come directly from New England Wood Pellets. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Does anyone have any feedback on the Green Teams versus the Green Supremes? What would you do in this case?

John

Thank you for the response. I guess I'm not sure which pellets are actually better or if there is much of a difference. I'm sort of annoyed that they didn't deliver to me what I bought, but not sure it's worth making them come back to pick the "wrong" pellets up.

John

I went to Home Depot today to pick up a ton of Old Dominion that I had reserved. When I got there they told me I could only take a ton of stove chow. I guess that's just how things work at the big box stores. Hopefully I'm happy with the chow.

Greene team are long pellet's, my stove prefers short pellets which drop faster and flames burn higher,esp during low settings, try a few bag's and see how you like them

JBiBBs5 said:
Check out the review here: http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/Reviews/Wood-Pellets/Green-Supreme-Wood-Pellets.html

One of the reviews compared them to Okanagan and Spruce Pointes which I've heard are very high quality, low ash pellets.

The "old" Green Supreme's were a BC softwood that was bulk shipped to NEWP's Palmer Mass. bagging plant. NEWP no longer owns this plant or do they get the BC softwoods bulked shipped to New England. NEWP has used the Green Supreme name to bag there standard hardwood/softwood mix pellet(same as there NEWP's and Warm Front's) to sell to the box stores. This was done to keep the NEWP and Warm Front dealers/pellet house's happy.

I am "Not" saying the Green Supremes are a bad pellet(The latest offerings from NEWP have been well above average), Just saying they are not the BC Softwoods some of were used to seeing. From what I have seen in recent reviews is the Green Supremes should be a bit cleaner than the Green Teams as far as ash content. Heat should be pretty similar, Maybe a slight edge to Green Teams.

One sure way to get what you want is to use a pellet dealer who knows that all pellets are not the same. You "will" get what you order~ If there is an issue with low stock you will be notified to select a sub of your choice! They will note make the choice for you! Box store not so, and it could be hit or miss with the delivery! Just saying tis all.

j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:
Check out the review here: http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/Reviews/Wood-Pellets/Green-Supreme-Wood-Pellets.html

One of the reviews compared them to Okanagan and Spruce Pointes which I've heard are very high quality, low ash pellets.

The "old" Green Supreme's were a BC softwood that was bulk shipped to NEWP's Palmer Mass. bagging plant. NEWP no longer owns this plant or do they get the BC softwoods bulked shipped to New England. NEWP has used the Green Supreme name to bag there standard hardwood/softwood mix pellet(same as there NEWP's and Warm Front's) to sell to the box stores. This was done to keep the NEWP and Warm Front dealers/pellet house's happy.

I am "Not" saying the Green Supremes are a bad pellet(The latest offerings from NEWP have been well above average), Just saying they are not the BC Softwoods some of were used to seeing. From what I have seen in recent reviews is the Green Supremes should be a bit cleaner than the Green Teams as far as ash content. Heat should be pretty similar, Maybe a slight edge to Green Teams.

One sure way to get what you want is to use a pellet dealer who knows that all pellets are not the same. You "will" get what you order~ If there is an issue with low stock you will be notified to select a sub of your choice! They will note make the choice for you! Box store not so, and it could be hit or miss with the delivery! Just saying tis all.

Thanks for the superb feedback j-takeman. This is exactly what I was looking for. Not that I don't appreciate someone telling me to "try a few bags", but that advice is a bit late, given the fact that I have 5 ton of pellets sitting in my garage!

John

j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Jay,

Do you know for a fact that NEWP is a HW/SW blend? The bags say Hardwood Blend.

Dave

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Jay,

Dave

Anything other than 100% is considered a blend. Here's what NEWP has listed on their site. Other wood species is most likely SPF(softwood).

New England Wood Pellets are a high quality premium grade pellet fuel made from a proprietary blend of hardwood and other wood species.

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Jay,

Dave

Anything other than 100% is considered a blend. Here's what NEWP has listed on their site. Other wood species is most likely SPF(softwood).

New England Wood Pellets are a high quality premium grade pellet fuel made from a proprietary blend of hardwood and other wood species.

Thanks

Same thing just happened to me. I'll make a fuss if they don't burn well

dbb95bf5.jpg

So am I a PIG yet

Last I knew they are 85% hardwood 15% softwood. At one point they did run 90/10.

I also just had Lowe's deliver 4 tons of Greene Teams. $196/ton, 10% military discount, no interest on Lowe's card for 12 months...(they would not combine 5% discount with military discount). Dropped them under my carport, I moved one ton by myself, and the other three with the help of my brothers. Set of ramps down the bilco doors into the basement and started shucking. I HOPE I'm set for the winter!!!

Big box'es tend to hvve 1 sku for 'pellets' these days, and it's whatever is in stock, you get.

If you demand a brand, you shouldn't order from the big box stores, or you should pick up when you pay and see them in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.