Ordered my 346XP today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
Well, after getting a pretty substantial bonus this year I went ahead and purchased a 346XP new edition with a 16" bar. I'm looking forward to trying it out this year on smaller timber. I love my 372XP but on smaller stuff it gets pretty heavy to make lots of small cuts. The almost 3 pound savings on the 346 should be nice for small work and it'll make a great backup saw.

Good choice-from what I've read elsewhere,the that 346xp ne is a great little saw.Let us now if it comes E-tech or standard.

I'm really happy with mine, TMonter. It screams. At first I thought it had a small gas tank because when I was done with a tank, it didn't feel like I'd done a tank's worth of work. But I was wrong.

Mine is the E-tech.

did you buy it online? what did you end up paying for it. I too am looking to buy that husky... where is the best place to buy one?

I got mine from a dealer. That's what I'd recommend.

I didn't swap the muffler, TMonter, but I probably should. I usually only run one tank at a time. And yes, that baby gets hot. Keep your face shield away from it.

I paid $407 with a 16 inch bar from Norwalk Power Equipment Company in California. It came with 3 chains and a T-shirt for that price. This will be the second saw I've purchased from them and their customer service has been excellent.

seems like i can buy one over the internet, with no sales tax, plus and extra chain, for 420. what did you pay for yours?

Mine was a gift, so I don't know what it cost, but it was probably in the $450 range.

The reason I recommend buying from a dealer is that a professional saw like the 346xp should be tuned up after break-in, with a tachometer. If you buy your saw from a local dealer, you'll pay a few bucks more, but you'll get your tune-up for free and any warranty work will be done probably while you wait. That's something professionals depend on.

So, you'll get a good deal on the Internet, but factor in what it will cost you to get it tuned, and any inconvenience caused by warranty claims that your local Husqvarna dealer will probably not be falling all over himself to honor in a timely fashion.

The saw is a honey, no matter where you get it.

Unfortunately my local dealer didn't have one in stock until Mid-January and he wanted $479.00 + $18 per extra chain and didn't want to budge on the price. I buy all my incidentals from him and he did a carb kit on my 056 but I just can't see paying $80.00 more when he only charges $35 for a tune-up. If mine comes with the cat muffler I'll buy the non-cat from him and have him re-tach the saw.

BTW the non-cat muffler part number is:

#544-02-83-01 this is the DF series forest service approve spark arresting muffler.

eric, thanks for the help. here is the situation. the closest husky dealer is 30 miles away. i do have a stihl dealer right around the corner, so im debating a stihl 260 vs a husky 346 xp. what would you do?

Either are good saws. It's going to depend on price really and maybe warranty if that concerns you at all. The MS260 Pro is the equivalent saw of the 346xp. One thing I like about the Stihl is you can get the 260 in a 3/8 chain version which is nice. The drawback is going to be the price of the 260 versus the 346.

I love mine. Has never let me down. I just wish it was balanced a little better. It's okward up in a tree but that's why I've got my ms192t but the 192t can only cut stuff so big then I call for BERTHA. Other than that I'll never buy another Stihl for a big saw. Enjoy your new saw

It's been years since I owned a Stihl, so I really can't say. Like TMonter says, they're both fine brands, especially the better saws in the lineups.

30 miles isn't all that far. You drive up there once to pick it up and then back one more time for the tune-up. That should be it.

I'm not saying not to buy one online. Price does matter. Simply pointing out some of the considerations.

Whatever you wind up doing, I'm sure you'll be happy. There are plenty of people on this website who own both the 346xp and the 260.

TMonter: I wouldn't swap the stock .325 50-gauge chain for a 3/8 anything on the 346XP. I think the chain is a big reason for the saw's performance. Or, I should say that chain moving at 15,000 rpm is a big reason for the saw's performance. My dad put some Stihl chain on his 346 and wasn't happy at all with it. He said it took too big a bite. Most people love Stihl chain, though.

Saw showed up today, it turned out to be a non-cat version (no green cap) which made me happy. I'm going to port the muffler after I break the saw in but in the meantime I think I'll break the saw in with the engine set a little rich just like I did with my 372XP. I'll post pictures later tonight.

Okay here are pictures of the new saw, notice no green caps *grin*.

Attachments

• 346XP View 1.jpg
    346XP View 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,707
Very nice,enjoy.Btw-how do you plan on doing your muffler mod?

That's the way I modded my 357XP just a while back......richened up the carb a bit and now enjoying noticeable gains in my cut time.

Status
Not open for further replies.