ordered my pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrat

May 28, 2008
Maine
Well I just ordered 3 tons of pellets for $260.00 ton, This includes delivery on demand directly into my basement.
I have no idea what the brand name is but I have been told that they will be a hardwood/softwood blend and will be PFI certified premium.
I am giving bulk delivery a shot with a 1.25 ton bin in my basement ( I could have had a 3 ton bin if my basement were taller >:-( ).
Oh well no more bags!

bill

Hey that's cool ! I'll be interested to read some feedback on how you like the bulk option. It gets me wondering whether it would be a hassle to transfer tubs of pellets from the bulk bin to the stove. I know it's been pretty convenient for me so far to stack around 10 bags near the stove once a week and dump one in whenever necessary.

i was told getting a bin would be cheaper... but i was hoping for 200-210 vs 270-300 ... you fell right in the middle ... but i have a stove maybe you have a furnace... but regardless at 260 and no bags! way to go!

I have my stove in the living room and I am planning to fill a 7or 5 gal. bucket every night, so it should not be much different from bringing up a bag everyday, but now I won't have to lug 150 bags down there in the first place.
The bin is $269.00 for the 1.25 ton and $299.00 for the 3 ton so there is some start up cost.
I will post some pictures when I get the bin installed.

bill

Thanks "jsph" I did not know that Heutz had pictures on there website.
I still wish I could have fit that 3 ton bin in my basement.

bill

roadrat said:
Well I just ordered 3 tons of pellets for $260.00 ton, This includes delivery on demand directly into my basement.
I have no idea what the brand name is but I have been told that they will be a hardwood/softwood blend and will be PFI certified premium.
I am giving bulk delivery a shot with a 1.25 ton bin in my basement ( I could have had a 3 ton bin if my basement were taller >:-( ).
Oh well no more bags!

bill

The hardwood softwood blend scares me....my thoughts turn to either Corinth...or Maine Woods...both pellets really cannot be considered even close to premium quality for either their heat output or their ash content.
Doubt they will be PFI certified in any case.

well, the blend is reality these days...those pellets will get certification if they can meet PFI standards....ash content, etc........by the way, theres nothing wrong with softwood.....but we've batted that around ad nauseum. I do have to day western softwoods are much better than eastern softwoods tho.

Lousyweather said:
..... I do have to day western softwoods are much better than eastern softwoods tho.

What's your opinion of the pellets made from the beetle-killed lodgepole pine?

none, mac...havent used nor sold any......im sure they'll burn in the stove tho.....its a beast

SparkyDog said:
roadrat said:
Oh well no more bags!

bill

The hardwood softwood blend scares me....my thoughts turn to either Corinth...or Maine Woods...both pellets really cannot be considered even close to premium quality for either their heat output or their ash content.
Doubt they will be PFI certified in any case.

I can gaurantee without a shadow of a doubt that most all supposed "hardwood"pellets made in USA have a percentage of softwood mixed in albeit some pellets may have a very small percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.