Ordered PE Vista insert today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM

Jan 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Finally took the plunge today and ordered the PE Vista insert this afternoon. Luckily I showed up before their new summer Saturday closing time. Mantel clearance and projecting further into the side of our long thin dinning/living room nixed the Pacific insert. Now I need to wait for our chimney to be rebuilt in August and the stove to be delivered.

Haven't decided on the liner yet, the store usually goes with 5.5 inch flexible liner. Are there any problems with a small downsize like this such as cleaning brushes. We are in a bungalow and the fireplace spills smoke sometimes when the glass doors are open. They gave me a scrap 1 foot section so I can see how it will fit through the damper area. They recommended stuffing the top and bottom with kaowool, but I will go for the full block off plate. The oval Simpson Duraliner looks nice but is way too expensive after the chimney work.

My big concern is that the chimney is far behind the fireplace and the exhaust from the stove is at the front. Does anyone use a 45 degree elbow there to reduce the bending of the liner. There will only be 5 inches between the top of the insert and the top of the fireplace opening (more clearance as you move toward the back). I am keeping my fingers crossed that seeing the insert in the fireplace will give me a better idea how to handle this.

Kevin.

I have my stove mounted in a fireplace like an insert and use the 5.5" liner with a lot bigger firebox than the Vista and it draws fine. I have a 30 degree stainless elbow coming right out of the stove flue collar attached to the flex liner. That should work for yours too. 45 would be a real sharp turn. For cleaning I would recommend either trimming a six inch poly brush or using one of the six inch brushes made for pre-fab chimneys. They have softer bristles but more of them so they go through a 5.5" without trimming just fine. They are a little pricey but worth it.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5RU-PB-6P50&eq;=

Status
Not open for further replies.