Ordering a Harmon PF100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitmo234

Dec 1, 2010
Oxford, PA
Hello,

I want to get a last minute sanity check. I'm getting ready to order a Harmon PF100 for my relatively poorly insulated house, that's 2533 square feet, and I intend to use it as a primary heating source with my propane furnace as a backup.

I was quoted $4889 with the 1638 CFM four speed blower. From what I've read on the forum that works well for the house size.

Does the price seem reasonable? Everything Ive read is that the furnaces are great.

First of all, best bang for the buck is more insulation, if your house is "relatively poorly insulated".
That being said, price seems pretty much in line with what a friend of mine paid for the same unit last spring.
I'm not gonna get involved in what it should cost to install, way too many variables, I installed my Revolution for about $400 3 years ago.

Insulation is up next. I'm dropping a grand on insulation rolls @ $15 each to put over the insulation i currently have down in my attic as soon as the temp drops in my attic to below 500000 degrees. I have a hunch my install will be slightly on the cheaper end. I have plenty of room near my furnace, plenty of place for it to be connected, etc, im getting quotes now

Actually, hooking up your furnace should be a lot less than my boiler ~ not plumbing involved. Just need electrical, hook into existing duct, and relays to existing furnace.

I would still look at the Pinnacles though.

3 years trouble free with the Revolution...... knock, knock. Not runnin' down the pinnacles, don't know nuthin' about 'em. If you're not committed to the Harman, might wanna check 'em out, and St. Croix, too. Just sayin'.

I installed a pf100 last year, did a great job heating the house. I also have propane for a heating source. I saved about $1200 dollars using pellets instead of propane. I bought mine off my neighbor for a great price , they had only used it one year. My payback is already there. If paying the price you are could take 5 years to break even....just something to think about.

Nope, the price I'm paying will be paid back in about 4.5 months. Propane in my area is > $3.00 a gallon, I have a $1000 gallon tank. Last year, keeping my thermostat set on 68 degrees, my gas lasted about 2.5 to 3 months. I stopped when I had 300 gallons left which is right about where I'm sitting now.

My house has cathedral ceilings, 2533 square feet, about 10 skylights and lots of windows. LOTS of windows and french glass doors. So far, I'm blocking up the skylights with covers this winter, covering the glass doors to the outside, I've bought curtains and will be installing insulation.

With my trane XE-90, the furnace was running about 10 to 11 hours a day. Then again, the blower mower was dying too. Almost exactly the time I ran out of propane I had to have it changed. That could have contributed to it greatly.

sinnian said:
I am sure that is just for the unit, not installed. Figure around another $3K if they do it right.

Have you looked at the Pinnacle Bellet Furnaces? They've been at it longer than Harmon, and I know they stand behind their units without the games Harmon plays.

http://www.pinnaclestove.com/shop/residential-solutions/

What games are you refering too? I have nothing but good news dealing with Harman.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.