Ordering my Jotul F-100 tomorrow, just a few more questions please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snow4me

Nov 24, 2008
S/E Michigan
Boy that thing is small!!! I went to the True value by my house, simply amazing how much fireplace stuff they have.
Saw the little F-100 in person for the first time, looks great! Still trying to decide if I should go the blue/black porcelain enamel or just the matte black. The salesman (very knowledgeable) says that since I am doing a corner install that I should go with their black seamless single wall pipe on the inside and the Sure-Temp Stainless outside. He says I should have enough clearance to my knotty pine to use the single wall. The seamless is pretty nice stuff but I don't know about the quality because I don't know much about this stuff. I can tell you one thing, I DON'T want to have to replace this stuff-EVER! I just want to do it and have it last until I die. Is there something else I should use on the inside or outside for that matter if this is the case? I am going to order the long leg kit to raise it up a bit. They also offer a fresh air kit I forgot to ask about, what is it and do I want it? I guess that's about it, getting excited to get it and put it in! Thank you all very much.

Daryl

youd give that stove a workout tonight brother. Its 15 here in Howell. Ive got a F-500 in the mocca jocca whatever porclen. Looks brand new with a wipe down witha dry cloth, get the enamel finnish youlll be glad you did burrr stay warm

Henry

Nice to see another guy Local to me on here, I am in Livonia. Planning on moving to your area within a year or so. I am seriously thinking on the enamel, looks really nice. I could go with that shiny stainless inside too couldn't I??? The guy was just saying "he thought" the matte black pipe and the enamel stove would look wrong. I don't know without seeing it for myself. I don't want to be bent that I didn't do it right the first time.

Thanks, Daryl

The Jotul blue/black enamel is really dark. It will look fine with black connector pipe. You do realize that that little pup requires feeding every couple of hours or so don't you?

Were working in Lavonia, finnising up a dentist office on Middlebelt rd. that 100 is a nice stove, but a bit on the small side. Im not sure how many sq ft its rated to heat. If your moving consider that you might be getting a bigger house and size stove accordingly. They let you burn wood in the city? I figured someone would groan if you did, good luck to you, and do get the enamel

BB chimed in here before i finnished my post, but hes correct on the feeding thing. I think he used to be a wood stove in another life

BrotherBart said:
The Jotul blue/black enamel is really dark. It will look fine with black connector pipe. You do realize that that little pup requires feeding every couple of hours or so don't you?

BB, he does. If my fried memory serves me correctly, this is for a small cabin, not the main house.

BrotherBart said:

Oh moderator i see now, Im bowing down as i type. good job

Yep, it's for my 12 X 20 Bunkhouse cabin up in Grayling-Northern Michigan.
The F-100 says it has a max burn of 6 hours. Should be fine because I drink a lot of beer when I am up there and have to get up to pee often.

Daryl

I don't have the F100, but I almost bought one, so I guess that allows me to throw in my 2 cents worth. If money is not an issue, I think you will like the enamel. My stove has a porcelain exterior and I am so glad I bought it. All it takes is a damp cloth to clean it.

I have single wall Heat-Fab stove pipe on my stove. It's the thickest single wall that I believe is made and it should should last for a few years. I don't know if that is what you are talking about or not. The Heat-fab has welded seams, but it technically isn't seamless.

I think most double wall stove pipe has a lifetime guarantee since it has a stainless interior, so you may want to look into that if you want the pipe to last many years.

If you can easily install an outside air kit to the stove, I think you should. With an outside air kit, you won't be using already heated air and pulling in cold drafts. I think my stove responds consistently well with the outside air kit.

snow4me said:
Yep, it's for my 12 X 20 Bunkhouse cabin up in Grayling-Northern Michigan.
The F-100 says it has a max burn of 6 hours. Should be fine because I drink a lot of beer when I am up there and have to get up to pee often.

Daryl

Ah OK. It will be a great stove for that. With the big glass your biggest problem will be how it lights the place up when you are trying to sleep. :) Before I moved mine when it was cranking it would heat my basement office which is a thousand sq. ft.

Snow is coming down hard right now here in Ann Arbor. Wish I had a wood stove here in Michigan not just at my summer home in Canada. Last year, when I was looking around for a Jotul wood stove I went to that True Value dealer you mentioned and, yes, I also thought the guy was very knowledgeable. I found that all of the Jotuls look smaller in person than they do in the brochures. The F-100 looks especially small but should be big enough for the space you intend to heat. I have a friend who has the smaller 602 in a large kitchen and it provides plenty of heat through the winter. If I were you, I would opt for the porcelain finish. I purchased a used 20 year-old Jotul #3 with a grey porcelain finish and friends are amazed that it's not a brand new stove. I used a black single-wall pipe with the stove and the two look fine together. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ChipTam

Status
Not open for further replies.