Ordering wood By the truck load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ordered logs the past 2 years and it is a good deal if your time is not included. I have found that it takes about 7-8 hours to buck it all up, another 7-8 hours to split it and about the same to stack. I paid 650 the first year and 750 last year here in Maine. Turned out to be about $100-125 a cord and about 3.5 hours of labor per cord. The great thing is that I am a full 2 years ahead and will stay that way with the logs.

Time isnt a problem my wife is pregnant and Im jsut trying to find things to get me out of the house i took up bow hunting this year helped a little. I get hassled by being on here. this gets me out the probally most the winter. Im acutally considering getting more and selling it next year. I have two dump trucks @ work i can get. my wheels in my head are turning. $50 -70 a face cord around here if it breaks down to 16 a cord thats if i get a full 18 face cords of of them. I dunno maybe i run it past tons of fun9 my wife) see what she says ;-P

NEDLAX said:
Time isnt a problem my wife is pregnant and Im jsut trying to find things to get me out of the house i took up bow hunting this year helped a little. I get hassled by being on here. this gets me out the probally most the winter. Im acutally considering getting more and selling it next year. I have two dump trucks @ work i can get. my wheels in my head are turning. $50 -70 a face cord around here if it breaks down to 16 a cord thats if i get a full 18 face cords of of them. I dunno maybe i run it past tons of fun9 my wife) see what she says ;-P

You, my friend are on(and was brought up to be that way?) the right track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyingcow said:
JoeyD said:
Are you talking about full 128 cubic feet of wood cords or face cords? I'm thinking 18 cords of any wood would be to heavy for anything but a rail car. You don't live near RR tracks do you?

Seen 18 cords on a 6axle semi, quite often. Way over gross, but it happens. That would figure about 125,000lbs gross. I had 12 cord/60,000lbs of treelength delivered by a straight job. 4axle truck. Yeah, he was over gross also. The guys up in Michigan are heavier than that, but they use more axles. The guys that haul offroad up here push 200,000lbs pulling 1 trailer. Some pull 2 trailers.

Not trying to hijack a thread here but I everytime I hear about heavy haul semi's I think about my neighbor who engineered the hydraulically expandable heavy haul tractor trailers that can carry up to 250 tons - legally.

Attachments

• dhh.jpg
    dhh.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 220
I paid $1400 USD for a full logging semi of mainly beech log length. worked out to about 12 cord. I am in upstate NY . by upstate I mean 30 minutes from Vermont or Montreal :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.