Oregon Arborol bar & chain oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mliiiwit

Jan 4, 2012
Southern KS
I know a lot of people use straight vegi oil with no problems and I would use it but I am not putting any water in my saw. At least not any water from my tap. I have a very iron rich well and I am always dealing with it in my plumbing so I can just imagine what that would do to a saw. I would probably just buy a gallon of distilled water if I was going to use the stuff. Must be a price point thing why they don't just make pre-mixed cold and hot temp oil. I guess we mix our gas why not oil too?

Can one of you chemist types explain how they get oil & water to mix?

Reactions: ScotO
ya that must be a heck of a trick. what about winter? does it freeze solid?

This has been out for awhile now. Only down falls I have heard is it will set-up if left for a few months in the tank. I would think that once is hot should turn back runny again.idk for sure.

Can one of you chemist types explain how they get oil & water to mix?

Chemist type here. Excerpt from product description:

"New Arborol® chain oil from OREGON® is made from specially processed
renewable vegetable oils and emulsifiers."

An emulsifying agent is added.

Engineer type here.

Emulsifiers chemically allow oil and water to mix. Asphalt is actually an emulsion of water and oil and it sets up hard lower than 180 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.