Oregon Chain Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
On the advice of aandabooks, I tried some of the Oregon 91VXL semi-chisel chain on my little Harry Homeowner saw, a 16in Homelite 33cc. Compared to the crappy safety chain my saw came with, the Oregon chain made this saw much more aggressive and it became a much more effective tool.

I've stuck with this type of chain since I discovered it a few years back. Usually I order Oregon 91VXL056 for my 16in saw. Recently, I was sent some 91VXL055 chains by my supplier. (The invoice actually said 91VXL056) I suspect I will be able to use them OK on that saw, it's just one less link- but I wanted to ask you guys. A lot of you know chainsaws way better than I ever will. I assume one less link will still fall within the adjustment range on the tension setting? I haven't tried one of these chains on my saw yet because the one I have on there is still working pretty well, just needs a touchup sharpening. I don't want to get the new chain dirty if I'm going to end up having to return it.

Just for reference, I think I remember that the number of links was changed something like 2 links per inch of blade- like 91VXL052 for a 14in blade and 91VXL056 for my 16in blade.

Thanks, Clutter

One link may or may not fall within the range of the saw adjuster, depends on the saw and the bar (or blade as you and others call it). Or just the bar if it is an Intenz bar. You need to test it on the saw.

On some 3/8 picco chains (low profile chain like Oregon VXL) that tend to stretch over time, I remove a link to get it within the adjustment range if there is still some life left in the cutters. I have also done that one some longer 3/8 standard loops (more than 28 inches). Non-safety chain is usually far better at cutting, yes. Non-safety chain has more kick-back though, and that is why safety chain comes on most homeowner saws when they are new (in some places thay have to sell them that way by law).

The only way to know for sure is to put it on. If it don't fit , return it/them.
Saw shops usually count the drive links on the chain off your saw, then make one the same.

Reactions: ScotO
Just for future reference, the 91VXL055 did work fine on my saw in place of the 91VXL056 I usually get. It's just barely within the adjustment range of the saw. It cuts fine. It makes the nose of the saw just a little shorter. In all, I'd prefer the longer chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.