Oregon chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Hello Firefighterjake, yes I have used one just like that. They are good at keeping the correct angle and getting all the cutters the same. Easy to use one sat up for your chain.
Don

Yep, got one of those. works ok, but all that plastic flexes if you are not dilligent in your stroke. By the time you get it all set up, and then sharpen the chain, you will understand the angles of free hand or guide filing a little bit better. The older all metal ones worked better, imo

I use mine all the time works great for keeping it sharp and even. I can do a quickie by hand but after a time or two I need the guide for a real sharp chain.

PINEBURNER said:
Yep, got one of those. works ok, but all that plastic flexes if you are not dilligent in your stroke. By the time you get it all set up, and then sharpen the chain, you will understand the angles of free hand or guide filing a little bit better. The older all metal ones worked better, imo

Thanks for all the replies folks . . . and a special thank you to PineBurner . . . you kind of answered one of my concerns . . . I was leaning towards the all metal one from Granberg or Oregon's older metal set up (I only found the old one for sale on line though) since I was wondering how the plastic would hold up over time.

I bought one form EBay called Fercad viking, looks to be the same as the Granberg model.
Mine is all metal, no plastic, I think I would go with an all metal model.
With a little practice it is just about as fast as filing freehand, but more consistent.
I am happy with mine.

Attachments

• 9edd_1.jpg
    9edd_1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 424
Firefighter, have you looked into the electric model at harbor freight? I just bought one for around $40. It took a little getting used to it, but it seems like it is doing a good job. Once you get the hang of it is pretty quick and holds the angle easily and accurately.

WES999 said:
With a little practice it is just about as fast as filing freehand, but more consistent.
Huh?
With a little practice, freehand is faster and with practice, consistent.

I bought one of those metal guides for my father who could never file freehand. He could not figure out the adjustments on that gizmo either. I used it a couple of times just to show him how it's done but really, I think they are a waste of time. Learn to file freehand.

LLigetfa said:
WES999 said:
Huh?
With a little practice, freehand is faster and with practice, consistent.

I bought one of those metal guides for my father who could never file freehand. He could figure out the adjustments on that gizmo either. I used it a couple of times just to show him how it's done but really, I think they are a waste of time. Learn to file freehand.
Yes, freehand is qiucker, and with practice, just as accurate. unfortunatly for me, I start off great, but my form fades fast........just ask my wife....... :red:

I have the deal now. Harbor freight lowered their price on the electric grinder to $24.99 for this week. I got an email about it and had them lower the price I paid ($42.99 two weeks ago). I wonder how they can sell them that cheap? Great deal.

I've had a couple of those things over the years; if I looked around real hard I could probably come up with enough parts to build a complete one. However in the time it took to do that I could just put a new file in a Stihl guide and sharpen 5 chains. They do work OK though and if you have a hard time sharpening with just a file in a guide then one would certainly get you into good habits. Overall to be honest with you I think that for my money its either a $10 guide or a $400 grinder with nothing inbetween when it comes to saw chain sharpening.

I have gotten pretty good at doing it freehand now, so that it was I am doing until the chain doesn't seem up to par. Then I will give it a whirl on the grinder. I never really liked the guides when I tried them, they seemed to get in the way.

Well I sharpened my chain the other day . . . the chain that I attempted to saw a rock with (yes . . . on accident) . . . used the Husky $10 guide . . . and I have to say, I think it came out OK, although I found myself towards the end kind of curving the file instead of keeping it straight.

For now I think I'll try using this a few more times. If the results are OK, then I'll stick with this . . . if not I might go with the Granberg (due to the all metal construction.) Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.