Oregon Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danrclem

Jul 23, 2008
KY.
I haven't bought chain in a long time and there are some different chains that I don't know much about. I think that the EXL replaced the LGX and while different it's close to the same thing. Correct?

I'm finding B72 and E72 3/8 chains. Is the B72 the same thing as the EXL and is the E72 the same thing as the LPX? If there are differences what are the differences and which ones are the best.

Yes you are correct...the exl is slightly different apparently and faster out the box than lpx. I usually can't find B72 and grab the e72. I can't complain about the e72 , it throws chips. It does appear the b72 may throw more chips tho.

Reactions: danrclem
A quick look shows the exl ($35) comes at a premium price over the lpx ($25) per loop. I'm talking canadian amazon search. Not sure I would pay that much more for a few seconds faster in the cut.

Reactions: danrclem
Thank you mcdougy.

I just got off of the phone with an Oregon rep and he confirms that the E72 is the same as LPX and the B72 is the same as EXL. He said that the B72 and EXL is a harder chain.

I'm like you in that I won't pay $10 more per chain for the EXL. I'm reading some good things about the EXL but if I can't find it for a good price it'll be the LPX for sure because I only cut firewood.

Reactions: mcdougy
I use 72EXL072G on my saw. US Amazon has them for $22 a loop. I’ve been using EXL for a little while and like it. I wouldn’t pay $10 more per loop though. For me the price difference is $3 per loop. LPX is $19 on Amazon.