Oregon chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pvrbulls

May 30, 2014
Arkansas
I am trying to figure out the difference between Oregon 72LPX072G and 72LGX072G chains. The first is part of the Super 70 line, while the latter is one of the Super Guard© Chisel Chain line. That's about all I have been able to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the latter is a chain that includes the anti-kickback technologies that are typically employed on "homeowner" type chains. The former is a chain that does not include these technologies and therefore may be more capable of a kickback. The information included on the ordering site indicates this with a yellow ! sign.

Last edited:
I believe the latter is a chain that includes the anti-kickback technologies that are typically employed on "homeowner" type chains.

That's what I would've guessed, given the word "guard" in the name, but it looks like it's the other way around:

Google search

AS thread

Reactions: TreePointer
That's what I would've guessed, given the word "guard" in the name, but it looks like it's the other way around:

Google search

AS thread

Thanks for the help. I tried several google searches, but apparently didn't phrase it right. I am just trying to decide whether to try something different from the Stihl 33RSC I've been using. From reading your links, I think I will give the LGX a try.

7/32" round file. I give them a stroke or two every tank on dead or frozen wood, and every onther on nice clean gread wood.

I am just trying to decide whether to try something different from the Stihl 33RSC I've been using.

You are going from the best chain on the market to something else. Just say'in.

Reactions: TreePointer
Around me the Stihl chain went up to $30 and the Oregon I can still get for $15-16. I do think Stihl chain is better but not twice as good.

Reactions: Nixon
Status
Not open for further replies.