Oregon Sure Sharp bar-mounted filing guide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
Howdy All,

I'm looking for a sharpening guide that will last a while. Oregon sells the "Sure Sharp" for about $22 bucks (at Lowes). It has a fair amount of plastic on it, so I have my doubts.

Can anyone comment on this gadget or a simiar one they can recommend?

Thanks.

N1ST said:
Howdy All,

I'm looking for a sharpening guide that will last a while. Oregon sells the "Sure Sharp" for about $22 bucks (at Lowes). It has a fair amount of plastic on it, so I have my doubts.

Can anyone comment on this gadget or a simiar one they can recommend?

Thanks.

I've used the one that's sold by Husky and Pferd. My Husky dealer didn't know about it - had to point it out in his catalog. About the same price as the Sure Sharp, and files the depth gauges at the same time. It has two files, a round and a flat. I get good results with it.

I bought one of the oregon sharpeners a few years back. I ended up giving it away. It worked fairly well, just felt cheap in my hand. There was a lot of flex in the plastic. It took the steady hand of a surgeon to keep it working properly. I'd recommend the file guide Husqvarna sells. Mine uses standard round files, but has a nice guide with rollers to keep the file moving smoothly. Or you can just buy the file itself. Lowes had them last I knew. About same price as Oregon setup.

I have had good luck and about a 10th of the time using this. I am still not as good as the guys who sharpen chains everyday for their jobs, but when on site and you hit a rock or a nail, this thing is a beauty. It has the file angle on the top plate and saves on you knuckles, which means no blood.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 426
Status
Not open for further replies.