1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Oregon Sure Sharp bar-mounted filing guide

Post in 'The Gear' started by n1st, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n1st

n1st New Member

Loc:
    Enfield, CT
    Howdy All,

I'm looking for a sharpening guide that will last a while. Oregon sells the "Sure Sharp" for about $22 bucks (at Lowes). It has a fair amount of plastic on it, so I have my doubts.

Can anyone comment on this gadget or a simiar one they can recommend?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I've used the one that's sold by Husky and Pferd. My Husky dealer didn't know about it - had to point it out in his catalog. About the same price as the Sure Sharp, and files the depth gauges at the same time. It has two files, a round and a flat. I get good results with it.
  3. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    I bought one of the oregon sharpeners a few years back. I ended up giving it away. It worked fairly well, just felt cheap in my hand. There was a lot of flex in the plastic. It took the steady hand of a surgeon to keep it working properly. I'd recommend the file guide Husqvarna sells. Mine uses standard round files, but has a nice guide with rollers to keep the file moving smoothly. Or you can just buy the file itself. Lowes had them last I knew. About same price as Oregon setup.
  4. n1st

n1st New Member

Loc:
    Enfield, CT
  5. Lignums

Lignums New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati
    I have had good luck and about a 10th of the time using this. I am still not as good as the guys who sharpen chains everyday for their jobs, but when on site and you hit a rock or a nail, this thing is a beauty. It has the file angle on the top plate and saves on you knuckles, which means no blood.

Attached Files:

• file.jpg
      file.jpg
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.