Oregon Vanguard chain sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
My saw came with an Oregon Vanguard chain with the bent-over rakers. Don't love it. I received another identical chain from a well meaning friend, now I have two, so I need to figure out how to file the rakers. They have a witness mark on them, but I don't understand how it relates to how it is supposed to be filed. Any experience with this?

Reactions: baseroom
My saw came with an Oregon Vanguard chain with the bent-over rakers. Don't love it. I received another identical chain from a well meaning friend, now I have two, so I need to figure out how to file the rakers. They have a witness mark on them, but I don't understand how it relates to how it is supposed to be filed. Any experience with this?

File it flat 0.025" below the new top of the cutter. If you lower it to the recommended 0.025" it will be a little more aggressive than it was new.

Image-501701011.jpg

I use a regular bench grinder to take down the bent over rake guides. Not a huge fan of these chains either.

They can cut well, it's just that you have to have a grinder to get the rakers down to a decent height. I just kept grinding until I got chips instead of dust. The "witness marks" were ground away a long time ago.

Just got a saw on trade with a new Vanguard on it so I'm going to give this one the treatment too rather than throw it out.
I'd never buy one intentionally though.

Reactions: Jon1270
If you have a grinder to take down the rakers, they can cut quite nicely. When I only had files to work with, the Vanguard chains just hung idly on the wall.

Reactions: Fishnuts2
Status
Not open for further replies.