Oregon Wood Grenade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
While visiting my Dad we were talking about burning wood and being 78 he can't physically do it anymore.. He mentioned he had some wedges etc. and I took a look and found one that was gold colored and sort of tear drop shaped.. Would this be a wood grenade and how well does it work compared to a standard wedge? I have it now and will be trying it out when I have a chance..

Ray

That is a wood grenade, I have one too. In theory it will split four ways, in practical it never worked that way for me. It works well as a fat wedge.
It may also depend on what type of wood you are splitting, I split mostly hardwood and that tends to just pop when it splits so it may work on softwoods. I have'nt used it in years though.

Hurricane said:
That is a wood grenade, I have one too. In theory it will split four ways, in practical it never worked that way for me. It works well as a fat wedge.
It may also depend on what type of wood you are splitting, I split mostly hardwood and that tends to just pop when it splits so it may work on softwoods. I have'nt used it in years though.

Thanx for the info.. All I burn is hardwoods and mainly oak so I will see how it works..

Ray

I have a couple wood greneades, they worked really well for me. The first thing I did was spray paint them a bright color ( was easy to find in my processing area)
If you have green wood and one pops out, pick a handful of dirt/sand and pour some in and that will help. Work the outer edges on those big chunks and good luck!

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
I have a couple wood greneades, they worked really well for me. The first thing I did was spray paint them a bright color ( was easy to find in my processing area)
If you have green wood and one pops out, pick a handful of dirt/sand and pour some in and that will help. Work the outer edges on those big chunks and good luck!

WB

Thanx for the advice!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.