Orlan EKO 25 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently purchased and had a ORLAN EKO 25 installed in my home. I just started running it about a a week ago. I am using it in conjunction with my fuel oil boiler for hot water heat. Please excuse me if I am not using all the proper jargon as this is not my normal thing. I have been using wood stoves to heat my home for years. but running multiple stoves to keep the house warm was ineficient and time consuming. SO we went with a wood gasification boiler. We are not using any hot water storage with our system also as we really had no where to put it. I have had the error E@ come up on our screen a couple times and I have read up an found out this means the boiler overheated. does anyone else usethis system and how I would prevent the overheating issue? thank you in advance for any help.

Len

Did you mean E2 not E@ ? My EKO 40 gave me the same code a couple of times as well when I first fired it. I attributed it to air in the system, which eventually worked itself out. It hasn't done it since.

yeah sorry I posted late last night with a newborn in the house working on little or no sleep is the norm these days. so I should not worry about the E2 we have gotten it a few times but hitting stop and start on the controller cleared it right up. I am also having smell issues not seeign any smoke just smell. I am going to hit the local hardware store today to find some of the high temp caulk hopefully that will clear things up.

I takes awhile for a new boiler to break in, so any smell/operations issues should begin to diminish as you run the boiler. If not, then look to tighten things up, but don't do that until you've run it for a week or so. JMO.

well I put aluminum tape on the 8"pipe from the back of the bouler to the chimney at the seems as there was cresil marks there. So I figued sealing them would be a good idea figured carbon monoxide is nothing to mess with with a newborn in the house and all. I put some High temp RTV in the little space between the ends of the rope seal. I will not do anything else with it for another week or 2 so the boiler breaks in. thanks for the info. Any other helpful hints for a new wood boiler user? he thing sure seems to make alot of creasil looks like tar with bubbles in it in the firebox. Thanx again for all the info.

Len

The creosote in the firebox is normal. You shouldn't have it anywhere else, however. Carbon Monoxide is not a huge deal with wood and you shouldn't have a problem with a modern boiler like the EKO or any other gasifier. You will get soot and fly ash in the chimney, however.

There are plenty of hints for better operation, but probably the best advice is simply to use it and pay attention to what's going on so that you can do more of the stuff that works, and less of the stuff that doesn't work. Generally speaking, try to stack the wood in the firebox over the nozzle, and try to keep a bed of hot coals over/around the nozzle opening for optimum gasification. Depending on your heat load, you might not have to re-start the fire from scratch very often, or you might need to do it frequently. It's easier if you don't have to constantly start new fires, but you'll burn more wood if it never goes out. Don't forget to clean out the ashes when the ceramic trough gets filled up. And enjoy the warm house.

Status
Not open for further replies.