Orley's Mfg. Co. Inc Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy west side

Oct 25, 2015
Wisconsin
New to wood burning stoves/heaters. Someone gave me an Orley's heater and I would like to install it in my barn. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this heater and any installation tips would be helpful. Posted the images I have of the heater the Mfg tag says "F and FC Model heater warning date of mfg 11-80 Orley's Mfg co.,Inc Medford Oregon"

Attachments

• 20151024_232442  Half.jpg
    20151024_232442 Half.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 20151024_232459 half.jpg
    20151024_232459 half.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 992
  • 20151024_232512 half.jpg
    20151024_232512 half.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 943
It's a barrel stove with a window. They were popular back in the early 80s, especially out west. It will munch through a lot of wood, but will put out the heat. These units commonly were installed on the hearth and rear-vented into the fireplace chimney. In a shop you will be under NFPA 211 rules. That requires 36" clearance in all directions unless there is proper wall shielding for a clearance reduction. The chimney installation requirements are the same as for a modern stove. The hearth needs to extend 8" beyond the stove footprint and 16" in front of the loading door. It should have about an R=.84 insulation value. If the floor is concrete then no need for a special hearth.

There are several threads on the Orleys. Do a search on Orley in this forum using the search field in the upper right. Here's an example:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/getting-the-most-out-of-an-orley.120463/

Moved thread to the Classics Forum.

It's a barrel stove with a window. They were popular back in the early 80s, especially out west. It will munch through a lot of wood, but will put out the heat. These units commonly were installed on the hearth and rear-vented into the fireplace chimney. In a shop you will be under NFPA 211 rules. That requires 36" clearance in all directions unless there is proper wall shielding for a clearance reduction. The chimney installation requirements are the same as for a modern stove. The hearth needs to extend 8" beyond the stove footprint and 16" in front of the loading door. It should have about an R=.84 insulation value. If the floor is concrete then no need for a special hearth.

There are several threads on the Orleys. Do a search on Orley in this forum using the search field in the upper right. Here's an example:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/getting-the-most-out-of-an-orley.120463/

Moved thread to the Classics Forum.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what model it is? Trying to narrow down the model number to learn as much as I can before installing.

If it is a twenty inch firebox and holds 18" splits it is the Baby Jane MH-10742. Here is Orley Milligan's patent for the stove. Being made in Oregon they were one of the first ones whacked early by the Oregon emissions requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.