Osage and Locust Score From This Year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust

Jul 14, 2013
Maryland
IMG-20130406-00007.jpg
Osage score that I got. Check out those rounds!! Big for Osage. This has got to be the heaviest, hardest, most dense woood I have ever dealt with. Started to unload it and almost forgot to take a picture. My friend got access to cut along an old railroad bed that is about a mile and a half long lined with an Osage fence.. Doesn't get better than that!

This is a locust score that I got from a school. It was already cut! My fellow employees were looking at me funny. I asked a co-worker to assist me with a piece that I could not move myself. He rode on my tailgate to get the wood and about freaked out. It was his first time riding on a tailgate. Needless to say, he walked back up the hill. City People!!

Below is a picture of the area we were cutting along the Osage fence.

IMG-20121012-00004.jpg
IMG-20130406-00005.jpg

Awesome stuff, can't beat those!

Reactions: ScotO
View attachment 108930
Osage score that I got. Check out those rounds!! Big for Osage. This has got to be the heaviest, hardest, most dense woood I have ever dealt with. Started to unload it and almost forgot to take a picture. My friend got access to cut along an old railroad bed that is about a mile and a half long lined with an Osage fence.. Doesn't get better than that!

This is a locust score that I got from a school. It was already cut! My fellow employees were looking at me funny. I asked a co-worker to assist me with a piece that I could not move myself. He rode on my tailgate to get the wood and about freaked out. It was his first time riding on a tailgate. Needless to say, he walked back up the hill. City People!!

Below is a picture of the area we were cutting along the Osage fence.

View attachment 108933
View attachment 108932

Can't get too many more BTUs than that!

Gotta love that Osage! Tough on saws but, as hot as it gets!

Reactions: chvymn99 and ScotO
Two nice scores. Some the most best firewood you could get there.
I remember riding in the back of pickups and on tailgates when I was a kid back in the 70s. The guys who were driving those trucks would probably be put in jail for that today.

Reactions: ScotO
And to think we used to stand up while riding in the back of a pickup. Just seemed the natural thing to do and we lived through it too!

On the wood, that is a nice find!

Reactions: chvymn99 and ScotO
I have never burned Osage before. It will be interesting. There is a lot more available, so I will post my next score.

I have never burned Osage before. It will be interesting. There is a lot more available, so I will post my next score.

I have never burnt osage either but a darn lot of black locust just like you have there.

Darn good score! Looks like extra work getting it out, judging by the last picture.

Make sure you can really control the air on you stove before you burn a big load of it. It can and will over fire a stove. But if you can meter the air right you will get tons of heat and real long burns. My wife and i cut 2 hedge trees this year. We started a burn pile to handle the small limbs. That fire got so hot by the end of the day that we couldnt get close enough to it to throw the last few limbs on. That same fire pit still had 3 inches of red coals the next morning. It really is amazing stuff.Enjoy!

Reactions: chvymn99
Hi Muncy Bob- I was born in Jersey Shore, moved to Dallas PA and then back to South Williamsport in High School. My mother and father live in Waterville and my sister lives in South Williamsport.
I'm not native to this area but we certainly like it here, going on 30 years now. It will take on a different look for the next week or so as LLB is in full swing. I suggest you come visit your sis and take a slight side trip to Pennsdale(my home) with a truck load of that funny looking stuff and I'll reward you by helping to unload it...and a cold bev of your choice :)

Also be careful opening the door on the stove with the osage in there, it will throw sparks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.