Osage Orange Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlett920

Feb 15, 2008
Fort Scott Kansas

I was just curious how many people burn Osage Orange (Hedge) wood. Dried Hedge is the highest in BTU'S of any wood and the closest to coal.

4200 pounds /Cord
32.9 MBTU'S/Cord

I wonder if the BTU's of osage are higher than IPE. Whenever I burn IPE scraps, I can easily get my stove into the red temps. Osage doesnt grow around here (at least I've never found any)

Osage Orange is up there in BTU's, but I found one higher. Live Oak- 37.7 mbtu/cord. Never burned either, but would like to try.

They have alot of Live Oaks in Texas and Florida where it is warmer not doing us much good in the colder parts of the nation though. They have beaches and bikinis atleast give us hot firewood!!!!!!!!!!

I always look at all the oak when I'm down visiting the relatives and think there could be quite a business shipping it out for stove wood. Nobody uses it for anything but bonfires down there. Makes a great bonfire, really hot, long lasting and great coals.

jpl1nh you go cut some and send a load to Kansas and I'll let you know if it would be a good buisness or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

Started cutting the Osage Orange today. Those stickers...uggh they got me again and again. Sure hope this wood is all its cracked up to be. It does split easy. I will get a couple of cords of this wood once I get a whole day. SlyFerret, you with me?

Yup, I'm with ya!

I saw I missed your call. We've been busy at work today.

I'm looking forward to cutting up some of this Osage Orange. Never heard of it before yesterday and now it's coming up everywhere!

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.