Osage sparkler show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Well, it doesn't come off as well on the small screen as in real life, but if you use your imagination, you get the gist. Osage will throw a blast of sparks when you open the door, or use the poker, or add wood, or change the air, etc. And the sparks aren't little harmless ones. They'll burn on concrete for 20 seconds.

This fuel has plenty of upsides, but leaving the door ajar when lighting a fire should be strictly avoided. It'll throw a blast of sparks as far as three feet in multiple directions simultaneously, like little incendiary MIRVs.

I got the camera out after a really impressive show like from one of those 4th of July sparkler cones. Hit it a few times with the poker and got the door shut pronto. It didn't max out like the one before, but at 40 seconds in the sparks are at about 60% of capacity. And there's only one split in the stove.

Reactions: osagebow
I think this is where you want to make sure that the cat is not sleeping near the stove. :oops:

I posted this especially for you! Welcome to the club!!

I can hear the commercial now, "Osage, for when you absolutely, positively don't mind getting a Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial hairstyle".

Reactions: Sinngetreu
Thanks Man! I SO cant wait until its dry. I guess I'm glad I have an enclosed stove!

I think this is where you want to make sure that the cat is not sleeping near the stove. :oops:

Why not? I've seen many posts that say stuff like "Once the cat lights off I get some great secondaries.." >>

Not quite the same secondaries as what I'm talking about. ;lol

It's the tertiary flames from the cat's secondaries that would worry me.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
Hate to see osage in a fireplace!!!

Reactions: Soundchasm
Holy Crap, it finally happened. Walked over to the downstairs stove and saw a spark burning out on the outside bottom ledge of the stove. That spark had to shoot OUT of the air intake. I've always known it was possible but never figured a spark would get past the air rushing in.

Been running that stove over ten years. Been burning hedge for three months. Time to check CTC again!

Holy Crap, it finally happened. Walked over to the downstairs stove and saw a spark burning out on the outside bottom ledge of the stove. That spark had to shoot OUT of the air intake. I've always known it was possible but never figured a spark would get past the air rushing in.

Been running that stove over ten years. Been burning hedge for three months. Time to check CTC again!

Thanks for the heads up.

Hate to see osage in a fireplace!!!

Pauly. I've heard folks say that before but, we are loaded with it. Nothing better on a long cold winter night. Atleast, nothing made of wood;). Long straight pieces are fence posts. The rest gets ready to warm the wife!

but, ya, in an open fireplace would be a little scary.

Last edited:
Pauly. I've heard folks say that before but, we are loaded with it. Nothing better on a long cold winter night. Atleast, nothing made of wood;). Long straight pieces are fence posts. The rest gets ready to warm the wife!

but, ya, in an open fireplace would be a little scary.
Yep Love it in a woodstove. I mix it with mulberry or locust for some real sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.