Osborn 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husky345 vermont resolute

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2012
london, ontario
hey guys just wondering if anyone he is using an Osborn 2400? I'm thinking of getting rid of my vc resolute next year. Sick of all the maintenance. Any suggestions? I think it seems like a good quality stove for the price. My 2490 is about 7 years old. Replaced combustion chamber last season. Any ideas what I might get for it?

I have the insert. I love it. In fact, I just added an addition on to my home and will be getting the 2300 freestanding stove as well. Good quality make, and throws some serious heat. You won't be disappointed!

The 2400 is designed a little different than the 2300.

2400 has baffle board and burn tubes.

2300 has stainless steel manifold that injects the secondary air instead of tubes.

The same company SBI makes Osburn and Drolet.

Drolet has the same fireboxes as the 2300. You can save your self some money getting you a Drolet Myriad, Austral, Baltic or Legend.

But they are not as decorative as Osburn.

Firebox size of all these stoves I have listed Osburn 2300 2400 and the Drolet stoves are all the same size.

The 2400 is designed a little different than the 2300.

2400 has baffle board and burn tubes.

2300 has stainless steel manifold that injects the secondary air instead of tubes.

The same company SBI makes Osburn and Drolet.

Drolet has the same fireboxes as the 2300. You can save your self some money getting you a Drolet Myriad, Austral, Baltic or Legend.

But they are not as decorative as Osburn.

Firebox size of all these stoves I have listed Osburn 2300 2400 and the Drolet stoves are all the same size.

Interesting, is there a difference in quality of burn tubes vs. stainless steel manifold?

I personally havent seen any major problems comparing a tube stove vs a manifold as I have owned both types of stoves. Some stoves have ceramic baffles boards. You can hit the ceramic when loading wood and damage them. The ceramic baffle boards and tubes are replaceable. Not sure what the 2400 uses for a baffle board.

The 2300 stainless manifold is more durable but not replaceable. But have a 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the useful info huntindog. To me the drolets seem like a cheaper looking stove.

The Drolets are just plain stoves , they do have a little trim on them but the build quality is very good on them.
The Osburn stoves are fancier/decorative and also have a very good build quality. Both stoves are heavy duty made. First pic is Drolet Austral and second pic is Osburn 2300.

Both stoves list the steel thickness as 5/16".

drolet_legend_high_efficiency_85_000_btu_wood_stove_db03070.jpg

Osburn-2300-Wood-Stove-image.jpg

Last edited:
The Osburn 2400 design is the ceramic baffle board with a ceramic blanket on top for added insulation to keep the heat built up in the firebox box. This design is more efficient than the other design of the Osburn 2300.

Osburn 2400 3.5 grams emisisons 78% efficient
Osburn 2300 5.7 grams emissions 75% efficient

As the Osburn 2300 is a manifold but an un-insulated manifold. Plus the firebrick only comes up the side a little over half ways leaving alot of the sides also not insulated by firebrick. So the stove radiates alot of heat. But the side shields should tame the heat a little making the stove more convective type.

My Drolet Myriad with the same firebox as the 2300 doesn't have the side shields so its a radiating beast. I wouldn't put it in a small room.

Status
Not open for further replies.