Osburn 1600 burns too quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDekok

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hi - I'm new here, but have grown up with a woodstove all my life.

I have an Osburn 1600 freestanding woodstove that was installed in my basement 5 years ago. I don't use it full-time, but for the first few years it was great - it just pumped out heat. now for the past year or so it's not giving off nearly as much heat. It burns very quickly. The air control used to have a noticeable difference at any setting; now it seems to act as if it's almost fully open all the time, until it jumps suddenly to the closed position. I have felt with my fingers that the plate is actually moving with the control. When feeling around in there, I also felt a piece of spring-type metal that poked down and didn't connect to anything. Is this supposed to be connected to the air control?
I cleaned my chimney the year before last, but haven't used it a whole lot since then.
I did replace the gasket on the door and have checked for leaks around the gasket with a tissue paper. Replacing the gasket made no difference at all. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.