Osburn 1600 Insert vs Napoleon 1101P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Howdy folks!

I've been skimming through the threads and I decided to post my own. This winter we will be installing two wood stoves in my old stone farmhouse cuz oil prices have reach stupid levels. One stove will be an older Vermont Casting wood burning Vigilant in a room that is called the Summer Kitchen, which is actually like a family/living room/den type of room that has a big walk-in fireplace. The vigilant is older but seems to be in very good condition. I understand that the efficiency will not be what a new stove is, but I only have so much money that can be spent on this, so a used stove will have to do for now.

Now my question is for the stove insert that will be put into the Kitchen. I am looking at the Osburn 1600 Insert and the Napoleon 1101P. Primarily because of the price point, which is a big factor as the house has never had wood stoves, so I have to allocate funds for installation, also.

So, of the two models, is one a better quality? The firebox on the Osburn is 1.85 versus the Napoleon's 1.7 (even though specs say the Napoleon excepts 18" logs while the Osburn fits 17" logs). Is there a model out there that has a larger firebox that is close to the same price? And, if I just stick between these two models does anyone know of the burn time they get from them? I work from home, so I can tend to the fire throughout the day, but I would like to make it through the night without having to restart the fire every morning.

Um, did I offend someone with this post? :)

What are the dimensions of that fireplace in the kitchen?

cmonSTART said:
Well, I don't know much much about the 2 models of stove, but the VC Vigilant is a GREAT old stove!

And the Browning BAR is a GREAT old gun!!

Thanks, I'm hoping the Vigilant works out well. I read all the research I could find before buying. It looked like a good choice. I'm hoping it will have a decent burn time.

Yeah, the original BAR is right up there with the 1919 in terms of fun old guns. If I wasted as much money on wood stoves and cut wood as I did on firearms and ammo I'd have a dozen stoves and 500 cords of wood sitting around here...

BrotherBart said:
What are the dimensions of that fireplace in the kitchen?

35" wide, 26" high, 27" deep

trailblaster said:
27" deep, that's pretty deep, but whats the back wall width?

It tapers down to 25 inches.

You are going to have a bear of a time attaching the liner to that insert. Flue way back, lintel way low. Ouch.

As to which stove is best I haven't owned either one but have looked at them in the flesh. Identical materials and build quality. The cast iron surround available for the Nap is a good thing if you are into that look. Either one will make you a good stove but an all night burn is going to be a stretch.

BrotherBart said:
You are going to have a bear of a time attaching the liner to that insert. Flue way back, lintel way low. Ouch.

I'll keep that in mind. I will not be installing this one myself, though.

As to which stove is best I haven't owned either one but have looked at them in the flesh. Identical materials and build quality. The cast iron surround available for the Nap is a good thing if you are into that look. Either one will make you a good stove but an all night burn is going to be a stretch.

Any suggestions as to which model would work best, but still relatively compatible in terms of price? I did like the Nap's surround. It would fit the look of the home pretty well.

In the price range those two are going to do pretty much an identical job. Get the one you like to look at and get'er done.

I have the 1600 insert and have been quite pleased. I had a lot of clearance issues and this seemed to be the best option for a smallish insert with a decent sized firebox at a reasonable price. I've been burning part time (weekends, holidays and some nights) for the last two winters. Its a quality stove, but not well suited for overnight burns. Probably about 6 hours of real heat, but there are enough coals after a full night's burn to restart rather easily. I'm thinking of reworking my hearth this winter to accommodate a larger insert or stove, but I will definitely keep the 1600 and install in my other fireplace.

DenD said:
I have the 1600 insert and have been quite pleased. I had a lot of clearance issues and this seemed to be the best option for a smallish insert with a decent sized firebox at a reasonable price. I've been burning part time (weekends, holidays and some nights) for the last two winters. Its a quality stove, but not well suited for overnight burns. Probably about 6 hours of real heat, but there are enough coals after a full night's burn to restart rather easily. I'm thinking of reworking my hearth this winter to accommodate a larger insert or stove, but I will definitely keep the 1600 and install in my other fireplace.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I wish I could get a longer burn time, but six hours isn't bad.

BrotherBart said:
In the price range those two are going to do pretty much an identical job. Get the one you like to look at and get'er done.

I'm a little flexible with the price, but it seems like there is quite a price jump to the next level.

I'm buying something for the kitchen, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.