Osburn 1800 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinman1

Oct 28, 2014
Long Island New York
Ok had a great start up today with this insert.my question is how can I get these temperatures up beyond 300 degrees ? I put a Rutland magnetic gauge on the top shelf as far back as possible & did cross check with my infered gun. It was very close to what the mag read.300 ish stayed for about 1-1/2- to 2 hours& after that it started to decline. So now i did a reload ! The firebox will take 16"EW& 14" NS. Should I shorten the wood to get more in ?am I doing any thing wrong ? Help please

Is your wood dry? Are you adjusting the air? Do you have a full 6" liner?

With the air fully open you send a lot of heat up the chimney. Newer stoves can be a bit counterintuitive as closing the air can actually increase stove temps. Try closing the air some until the flames become "lazy". Wait until the fire has picked up again, then close the air some more and so on. See if you can get the temps then higher than before. Plus, I would wait with the fan until the insert is up to temp. The faster you get the insert to optimal temperatures the cleaner will be your burn.

What size is your wood? Did you take the moisture meter reading from the inside of a freshly split piece?

To get a HOT fire you need 3 things: dry wood, good draft and gaps between pieces. It will burn hot and fast. The tighter you pack your wood the slower it burns.

After a reload I always leave my door open about 1/2 inch for 5-10 minutes. Make sure it's going really good, close the doors and turn down the damper.

As Grisu stated, wait to turn the fan on.

ANdrew

What size is your wood? Did you take the moisture meter reading from the inside of a freshly split piece?

To get a HOT fire you need 3 things: dry wood, good draft and gaps between pieces. It will burn hot and fast. The tighter you pack your wood the slower it burns.

After a reload I always leave my door open about 1/2 inch for 5-10 minutes. Make sure it's going really good, close the doors and turn down the damper.

As Grisu stated, wait to turn the fan on.

ANdrew[/quote
You mentioned leave gaps to get it Hot ? Then you mentioned pack it tight for a long burn ? I'm looking for both?

If you're looking for a hot and long fire, leave a couple of gaps in the wood. , ideally at the bottom. Pack the wood tighter on the top. You gotta give the wood a chance to start to burn, heat up and off gas. I always say that if you pack the wood SUPER tight, it's like trying to burn 1 big log. But that's just my opinion :)

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.