Osburn 2000 Wood Stove Door Handle Seized Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredo

Nov 24, 2011
Mi
Hello once again to all the Kind Folk at Hearth.com,

Well, it has been over a week since I had my Osburn 2000 Wood Stove installed. I have had at least 15 fires, 3-5 were break ins and the rest of my burns have been 400 degrees and less. I think I had one burn that reached just below 500 but I closed Damper down and temp decreased.

The other day I cleaned out my stove and prepared it for an evening burn. When night time rolled around I TRIED to open my stove door and it did not turn. I had to put a ton of hand torque into that handle in order for it to turn. I turned handle from left to right and the darn thing was hardly budging. I worked it back and forth until I was able to close door shut.

I applied Liquid Graphite to stove door handle and it helped a little but I am unable to turn it without some resistance?

Has anyone at Hearth ever had this particular situation happen to them? If so, I would like to know what they did to fix this type of issue so I can resolve my issue...

Thanks

Fredo

You should be able to adjust he handle on the door, in your case loosen it. Check out your manual or look on-line for one, it should have door handle adjustment instructions. On my Lopi if the door shuts too tight it instructs you to loosen the door handle and if you need too add a washer to take up the space you'll get from loosening the nut. Make sure your rope is ok too, look for a uniform indentation around the entire perimeter of the rope. You may have a section of rope that is sticking out further than the rest of it.
Also, I wouldn't be so quick to close all the way down when you reach 500F (assuming your measuring this temp on the stove top) especially now that you're through the break-in burns. I think the optimal heat output/wood consumption for a stove top is around 500-550F. That is where I try and stay while I can tend the fire. My stove top thermometer has the best temp range starting at 400F and going to 650F and halfway between 400F and 650F is 525F. Anything below 400F is in the creosote range and anything above 650F is too hot

I suggest editing the title of this thread to include the name of the stove. You'll attract all the folks who have one and might know the answer.

I have an ENG 13. At night I'll latch the door snugly, not overtight, and in the am when the stove has cooled off it is a little hard to open. I assume this is because at night the stove is hot and has expanded. By morning it has cooled off and "shrunk" making the latch harder to open.

Since posting I sprayed Stove Handle with Dry Graphite Spray. It is rated for heat applications so I thought this would be best to use. Door handle moves more freely but I am still taking it back to Osburn Stove Dealer after Christmas to have it looked at. Maybe if we can get door handle off we can TAP door threads and clean them up...

Thanks

Fredo

I have the Osburn 2000 insert which I think is more or less the same as the freestanding stove. We have been using the new stove for only a few weeks and did notice that the door handle has tightened up very slightly, but it is still easy enough to turn. It might be a characteristic of this stove that the handle tightens up a bit when the stove is fully broken in. The manual doesn't say how to adjust the handle, but it can't be too hard.

May I suggest you remove the cotter pin on the latch side of the door that serves as a latch top. Then un-thread the door handle. It's likely a piece of crud or maybe a filing of the thread has dislodged itself and got caught in there.

It doesnt happen very often but at worst it may need to be re-tapped. I was in Flint this week. Too bad, I could've dropped by to look at it for you.

Could this have rusted up at some point. FyreBug's advice is good. Check the handle shaft to be sure it didn't get bent. If it's ok, I'd lightly sand the shaft and handle hole in the door, then coat the shaft with some graphite powder before reassembling. It should be good as new after that.

Called Osburn Stove Corporation and they are sending me out a new Door Handle. In the mean time I have used a Dry Graphite Spray I purchased from Napa Auto Parts.

I am able to use my stove but I know that either door handle threads or door threads are the issue. When knew handle comes in mail I will try and torque old handle off and see what's up...

Fredo

Fyrebug

I did remove cotter pin and TRIED to free up door handle last evening. I had to use quite a bit of force just to get handle to turn a smudge. I finally got door handle to turn enough so it would lock door.

Stove door handle does not move freely like it should even though I sprayed graphite spray. At least for now I am able to use my stove until new handle from Osburn comes in mail.

Fredo

Begreen

Stove door handle did not rust and there are no visible signs of rust. I am going to take handle off after Holiday and see why it is binding.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Begreen

Stove door handle did not rust and there are no visible signs of rust. I am going to take handle off after Holiday and see why it is binding.

Fredo

Hi Fredo, I talked to Rich at Autumn Valley (nice guy). Give him a call when you get the handle and he'll do it for you.

Bert

FyreBug said:
Hi Fredo, I talked to Rich at Autumn Valley (nice guy). Give him a call when you get the handle and he'll do it for you.

Bert

+1 FyreBug, great customer service!

Bert,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to Rich. I spoke to Rich today and he said when stove handle comes in that he would take off old handle and reinstall new one.

Thanks

Fredo

rdust said:
FyreBug said:

Bert

+2 Incredible customer service! I would love to see a PE rep on the forum but doubt that will happen..

Ray

raybonz said:
rdust said:
FyreBug said:

Bert

+2 Incredible customer service! I would love to see a PE rep on the forum but doubt that will happen..

Ray
Agreed, don't think that will happen either. :(

I totally agree about customer care. Fyrebug(Bert) and my Osburn stove dealer Rich from Autumn Valley Farms in Lapeer Michigan have gone above and beyond to help me concerning stove door handle. I thank them both for their kindness...

Fredo

Its amazing what Rich my stove dealer has gone through to get my stove door functional. I really appreciate how Rich has treated me as a customer and friend. Both Rich and His wife Cindy from Autumn Valley Farm in Lapeer Michigan have treated me like family since day one and I really appreciate them both. Every time that I have gone out to their business they invite me in and it feels like I have known them forever. Cindy also makes an awesome cup of hot Cappicino!

I also want to thank fyrebug/Bert. Bert has been so helpful with my stove handle situation and I really appreciate his kindness. Thanks to all my brothers here on hearth also for your help. You are truly wonderful folk and I consider you all my brothers.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Its amazing what Rich my stove dealer has gone through to get my stove door functional. I really appreciate how Rich has treated me as a customer and friend. Both Rich and His wife Cindy from Autumn Valley Farm in Lapeer Michigan have treated me like family since day one and I really appreciate them both. Every time that I have gone out to their business they invite me in and it feels like I have known them forever. Cindy also makes an awesome cup of hot Cappicino!

I also want to thank fyrebug/Bert. Bert has been so helpful with my stove handle situation and I really appreciate his kindness. Thanks to all my brothers here on hearth also for your help. You are truly wonderful folk and I consider you all my brothers.

Fredo

Good to hear stories like yours Fredo! When you consider how much we pay for these stoves I feel customer service is part of the deal.. If I bought through Home Depot, Lowes , Woodstock etc. I would expect to repair it myself but through a dealer and under warranty I feel the dealer should take care of their customer..

Ray

Fredo said:

Fredo

Fredo,
Thanks much for your kind words concerning our customer care...it's not always that we get such patient customers as yourself. it's not often that we have many problems with our products, but when we do we're also thankful for good customers like you and also the superior backing of companies like Stove Builders International. With over 34 years under our belts in the wood stove business, (and many of those years with Ashley Corp. of Martin Ind.), we realize that it's you who bring in new customers even more than the newspaper ads, and we would hope that our actions will always speak louder than words.

We're keeping AMERICA warm, one stove at a time.

Rich~
Autumn Valley Farm, Lapeer, Mi.

Ok, so why was it sticking? I am looking at a 2000 possibly for down stairs and whould like to know what the problem is incase I run into this...

Steve

stircrazy said:
Ok, so why was it sticking? I am looking at a 2000 possibly for down stairs and whould like to know what the problem is incase I run into this...

Steve

Steve
I presume a piece of slag in the door casting, SBI uses this "threaded" style of handle on many of their units including Drolet, PSG, and Osburn. Of all the many units I have sold, this is the first situation of this kind that we've ever had.
In the past 7 years, I personally have had 3 of these style units, 2 in use at present - and all of the handles have worked perfectly.

...and BTW- SBI is paying me nothing for these blogs, they're just a good company with a good product and service :).

Rich~!

Keeping America Warm said:
stircrazy said:

Steve

Steve
I presume a piece of slag in the door casting, SBI uses this "threaded" style of handle on many of their units including Drolet, PSG, and Osburn. Of all the many units I have sold, this is the first situation of this kind that we've ever had.
In the past 7 years, I personally have had 3 of these style units, 2 in use at present - and all of the handles have worked perfectly.

...and BTW- SBI is paying me nothing for these blogs, they're just a good company with a good product and service :).

Rich~!

thanks Rich, I have the 1600 but from when they were realy Osburn not SBI, my handle is not threaded so I was wondering what could go wrong realy..

Steve

stircrazy said:
Keeping America Warm said:
stircrazy said:

Steve

Steve

Rich~!

thanks Rich, I have the 1600 but from when they were realy Osburn not SBI, my handle is not threaded so I was wondering what could go wrong realy..

Steve

Steve

I'm not familiar with the earlier Osburns, and not too sure just when SBI added the Osburn line to their company. We still do have a model 1600 in both a free standing and an insert, very possibly updated from the earlier ones. Rest assured, this handle configuration is a slick one, and the best part is that it's easily adjustable to the compression of the door gasket.

Rich~

I might be starting to sound like a broken record but I am so thankful to Rich from Autumn Valley Farm for making my seized stove handle functional. Right now temps are in the 40s in Lapeer Michigan, I have a huge split of Ash in my Osburn which is pumping out 400 degrees according to my stove top gadge and the sun is shining! What more can one ask for :exclaim: :coolsmile:

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.