osburn 2200 draw issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trykflyr

Sep 15, 2009
north pole alaska
I have a 3 plus year old Osburn 2200 that worked really well the first year, then seemed to degrade in efficiency and heat output over the last couple seasons. It gets damn cold up here and we're paying close to 4.50 a gallon for heating oil. This critter is my main heat source during the evenings and all weekend.

I've had the chimney cleaned each year before firing things up in August, but I have my doubts about how deep the sweeps who've done it managed to get into cleaning the upper reaches of the stove. The wood's good and seasoned, things go well as long as I leave the door cracked open and the inlet air handle full open. I get it up to temp I believe, try to turn the inlet air down and things go rapidly downhill to a slow smoky smoulder.

The book is vague at best. I pulled all the bricks out and gave it a good cleaning, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Anyone have any ideas how to get on top of the upper fire bricks and into the flue inlet? And just where does the inlet air enter the firebox? I'd like to make sure that's not restricted....

Thanks!

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a shot. Look for my next post asking for assistance on how to reinstall the baffles on an Osburn 2200.... Coz we all know that simple little phrase "reinstallation is the reverse of removal" is so very helpful!

trykflyr said:
Thanks for the help. I'll give that a shot. Look for my next post asking for assistance on how to reinstall the baffles on an Osburn 2200.... Coz we all know that simple little phrase "reinstallation is the reverse of removal" is so very helpful!

I have to admit I had a hard time figuring out how to get the baffles out in the first place. Putting them back in was not too difficult having been through that experience. I found it easier to put the baffles back in place and install the front support before installing any of the secondary tubes.

While cleaning out the firebox I noticed that one of the three smalls holes ( I am assuming these are the primary air inlets? ), located on the tab situated in the middle of the lower frame just inside the door, was plugged with ash. I carefully cleaned it out with a matchstick. I have no idea if this will have any affect on performance.

I hope that performance returns to your previous level following the cleaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.