Osburn 2200 or 2400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GVA said:
Hi It's me again, I found the problem........................................It's the dogs you need to get rid of them.............................I'm kidding Jeeze come on now :cheese:

Just some observations from beyond the tree line of birch. I'll let the experts chime in on this one... Cause me ha...ha...ha...... Read the signature people
1) The cap opening seems kind of small for the size of the pipe.
2) Pretty close to the ridge vent (not sure if this has anything to do with anything at all)
3) can't see where the fresh air intake is on the wall
4) is that a protrusion in the wall (outward) between the 2 windows? and if so what is the purpose of it?

Well If it was me and I wasn't getting anywhere I know you have spend a bit of money here on this thing but I would look at extending that pipe up a couple of feet more from the ridge and maybe at a minimum remove that cap and test it again.

Then If that doesn't lead you down the right path Then craig will pay the shipping to western mass and we will perform an online autopsy With hammers and grinders in hand.... Roospike Will handle the virtual Oxy acetylene torch and Me with the Plasma cutter Then we will have either a solution or a puddle of metal :lol:

Allright maybe not...... ;-)

******** Hey ! :cheese: ********** Now that sounds like fun.

Another thought to the issue ..................
Stove is double wall pipe , maybe an issue of the inner pipe of the double wall ?
The stove is going to be sucking air so i cant see that the stove is going to be letting out anything except the stack , the pipe is going to be pushing so i would think if there was a spot to be letting out smoke/ash/emissions it would be in the pipe.

Yeah I'm curious About that pipe too, more specifically that transition piece at the ceiling and maybe what's on the other side of the ceiling Where the airspace and ridgevent is.......Is it one of those passive heating homes where the air circulates around the outer shell of the house (hence that protrusion in the wall).
Were the contractors building this house qualified like is that pipe even sealed properly..
Is there a leak between the ceiling and the roof and that ceiling fan is just pulling it back down through it's leaky hole in the ceiling and spreading it around the room and house?
Lot's of variable are possible.
Well screw it................................... Show of hands for the autopsy....... ;-)
And Bozlee we may need the pipe and cap too.. :lol:

I still cant believe that if your windows and walls are getting this (grease) on them after a hour or so of burning that you 1 don't see or smell it? Try using a stick of incests and see if your getting any positive pressure any were from the stove/pipe. also set up a carbon monoxide detector in the area to see if anything shows up! Check around were the air vents out from the fan. Could there be a problem with the secondary burn chamber and were it vents into the room? I have the 2200 insert and it works great! Good Luck and I hope you get this resolved!

Paul

GVA said:
Hi It's me again, I found the problem........................................It's the dogs you need to get rid of them.............................I'm kidding Jeeze come on now :cheese:

Just some observations from beyond the tree line of birch. I'll let the experts chime in on this one... Cause me ha...ha...ha...... Read the signature people
1) The cap opening seems kind of small for the size of the pipe.
2) Pretty close to the ridge vent (not sure if this has anything to do with anything at all)
3) can't see where the fresh air intake is on the wall
4) is that a protrusion in the wall (outward) between the 2 windows? and if so what is the purpose of it?

Well If it was me and I wasn't getting anywhere I know you have spend a bit of money here on this thing but I would look at extending that pipe up a couple of feet more from the ridge and maybe at a minimum remove that cap and test it again.

Then If that doesn't lead you down the right path Then craig will pay the shipping to western mass and we will perform an online autopsy With hammers and grinders in hand.... Roospike Will handle the virtual Oxy acetylene torch and Me with the Plasma cutter Then we will have either a solution or a puddle of metal :lol:

Allright maybe not...... ;-)

Geez don't let the boys hear you say that...they make way less mess than that darn wood stove of mine :)

The cap was recommended to me by the Osburn people (?) and the chimney sit over 4 feet from the roof line, which I have been told is more than adequate. The fresh air intake is down below the window in the centre of the two windows. The front of the house is designed in a slight V shape which is the protusion you are seeing

Now lets talk about that autopsy....no way is that happening without me :) I wanna watch that sucker go down into a pile of molten metal....revenge is sweet and it's gotta be mine :p

wingnut said:
Try using a stick of incests and see if your getting any positive pressure any were...

Well, at least it will make you forget about the stove problem for awhile!

One last thought. Warren and I dont have any problem with our Osburn stoves,but we dont have an ash draw! could this be the problem? Did you try the incents smoke test?

wingnut said:
I still cant believe that if your windows and walls are getting this (grease) on them after a hour or so of burning that you 1 don't see or smell it? Try using a stick of incests and see if your getting any positive pressure any were from the stove/pipe. also set up a carbon monoxide detector in the area to see if anything shows up! Check around were the air vents out from the fan. Could there be a problem with the secondary burn chamber and were it vents into the room? I have the 2200 insert and it works great! Good Luck and I hope you get this resolved!

Paul

Secondary burn chamber ? Huh now you are talking over my head. OK I got the incest (insence :) ) what am I supposed to do with it ?

I am happy that you 2200 works good for you. How about taking a video clip of a nice fire burning in it and I at least I'll get to see it burning vicariously through yours :) Ahh what the heck..to many variables to try and figure this thing out. Gonna tear the house down and rebuld it around the stove..see if that'll work :)

I bet I have the only lemon Osburn on the planet.............autopsy melt down 3 pm this saturday....everyone welcome...BYOB :)

BrotherBart said:
wingnut said:
Try using a stick of incests and see if your getting any positive pressure any were...

Maybe he's burning some of them big bales of bio bricks and the incense would be used to cover the smell.

It sure does seem odd that you get the effect in only an hour of burning. What kind of wood? If you take the stack off the stove and put positive pressure on the stack with some incense or a little burned newspaper to create some smoke...where does the stove leak? If I were you I'd take that thing out into the garage and start doing some serious testing.

I'd want to know why at this point. Once you do find out...maybe Corie would be the guy to disect...then he can figure out how to make it into Corie 2.

StoveZilla!!!!

wingnut said:
One last thought. Warren and I dont have any problem with our Osburn stoves,but we dont have an ash draw! could this be the problem? Did you try the incents smoke test?

Yup and the house smells hippie like now :) Lit the incents, turned off all the lights in the house, shone a 1,000,000 canlde watt flashlight all around the stove and pipe, kinda like Sherlock Holmes might do, to see wafting smoke and nada. Next call goes to Ghost Busters and then we're having that autopsy...don't forget BYOB. Hey if I can't laugh about this what else am I gonna do.
Hey but I now have me a new incents burner/plant stand :). It's minus 25 celcius out here and I'd love to have a nice fire roaring but alas can't get much of a falme from that cherry wood smelling incents.

Thanks guys you've been great with all your suggestions...really

I noticed how your home sits in relationship to tall large fur trees Eventhough your chimney may meet current clearance lenght above the roof, You still may need more height, due to taller objects surounding your home. I think your setting h is part of the issue do you ever experience pipe /fir pollen?. that would leave a fine clear film on things. your draft may not be as good as you think the taller trees can deflect winds to create a downdraft condition added chimney length would improve.
Have you ever experienced mold conditions? I'm looking at your home setup a the way it appears to be dwarfted by trees

Warren said:
BrotherBart said:
wingnut said:

Maybe he's burning some of them big bales of bio bricks and the incense would be used to cover the smell.

It sure does seem odd that you get the effect in only an hour of burning. What kind of wood? If you take the stack off the stove and put positive pressure on the stack with some incense or a little burned newspaper to create some smoke...where does the stove leak? If I were you I'd take that thing out into the garage and start doing some serious testing.

I'd want to know why at this point. Once you do find out...maybe Corie would be the guy to disect...then he can figure out how to make it into Corie 2.

StoveZilla!!!!

This stove has no idea how close it is to "becoming a big bio brick" :). That is exactly the problem...no leaks visible to the naked eye or nose. At least if there was we might get to the bottom of this mystery. And yes I have given serious thought to taking it out to the garage but "testing it" is not exactly how I would describe what I would do to it :p

Any ideas how I am going to carry this 500 pound lemon out to the garage :)

elkimmeg said:
I noticed how your home sits in relationship to tall large fur trees Eventhough your chimney may meet current clearance lenght above the roof, You still may need more height, due to taller objects surounding your home. I think your setting h is part of the issue do you ever experience pipe /fir pollen?. that would leave a fine clear film on things. your draft may not be as good as you think the taller trees can deflect winds to create a downdraft condition added chimney length would improve.
Have you ever experienced mold conditions? I'm looking at your home setup a the way it appears to be dwarfted by trees

That has been mentioned to me before as a possibility. The pic is actually decieving. All around the house is about 100 feet of clear space before the trees most of which a poplars. We lost all our fir trees this past spring when a tornado came through our front yard. Never had any mold in our house. We live in the heart of cottage country and pretty much all of my neighbors have wood stoves and they have the trees almost against the house and no problems for them. Just me, cause Murphy's Law live on my roof :)

Said the inside of the home is 13' tall? and a 4' pipe on top? minus the stove and raised hearth ( -3' )
That puts the chimney at only 14' What is the min height for this model ?

I think its the pipe , If i was a dealer with this issue i would take the double wall pipe out and run a SS liner from stove to the top and check it that way first before thinking it was the stove.

Roospike said:
Said the inside of the home is 13' tall? and a 4' pipe on top? minus the stove and raised hearth ( -3' )

Not sure the minimum height cause the manual sucks. But hubby and I have decided that we will add anothe two to three feet to the outside pf the pipe...gonna pick it up tomorrow, If that does not make a difference I am hanging the white flag out.

By the way...saw the pic of your red stove...very nice ! Wanna trade :)

Bozlee said:
Roospike said:
Said the inside of the home is 1 tall? and a 4' pipe on top? minus the stove and raised hearth ( -3' )

Not sure the minimum height cause the manual sucks. But hubby and I have decided that we will add anothe two to three feet to the outside pf the pipe...gonna pick it up tomorrow, If that does not make a difference I am hanging the white flag out.

By the way...saw the pic of your red stove...very nice ! Wanna trade :)

Thanks. Trade Queen Bethany*!? A.........hummmmm , Let me think about it.... NO! ,
O' , sorry ... i mean no thank you. ;-)

Dont forget to check over your interior double wall pipe and the inner pipe on her to make sure she is sealed all the way up.

*note: Stove name "Queen Bethany" ~ Queen -Beth -Any
Queen ~ Queen Ann legs
Beth ~ Slow rolling song "Beth" like the flames of the stove
Any ~ She will burn any wood i put in her.

I've been quietly following this thread for some time.

Just my .02 and it's not really worth 1/2 of that. Was that pipe, or the stove painted prior to installation? I'm just sitting here smelling the paint cure on the 2200i I just installed and it got me to thinking that if the pipe or stove had been painted with defective or improper paint, it could be giving off some type of material.

You said that on the last test burns the build up was on the windows. They appear to be behind and to the sides of the stove. If the stove were emitting something as it circulated air, wouldn't it be coming from the front of the stove and tend to build up elsewhere first? Whereas an emission or off gassing from the pipe would radiate from all sides.

I'm really just grasping at straws (or pipes).

Couple of thoughts what do you have concering flooring Hardwood or ww carpet? You keep saying the home is a cottage, If you already explained it please humor me again.

If getting a black film on things I would think 30 years of burning two stoves I would have found it. I am alsoa builder and A building inspector not a home inspector.
I have never seen what you are describing. I think there is something in your interior enviorment that is acentuated by the wood stove usage. or the heating currents the wood stove produces
that causes some kind of reaction. Again I would do as suggested get a sample tested if you knew what it was then finding the source would be easier

I guess I should have been more clear on the insents thing. Light a stick and you use the smoke off the stick to help find positive or negative leaks by passing it around all the pipe joints the door seal and so on. Look to see if smoke does anything other than goes strieght up. I just hate to see you chop up a good stove IF its not the stove.

elkimmeg said:
Couple of thoughts what do you have concering flooring Hardwood or ww carpet? You keep saying the home is a cottage, If you already explained it please humor me again.

If getting a black film on things I would think 30 years of burning two stoves I would have found it. I am alsoa builder and A building inspector not a home inspector.
I have never seen what you are describing. I think there is something in your interior enviorment that is acentuated by the wood stove usage. or the heating currents the wood stove produces
that causes some kind of reaction. Again I would do as suggested get a sample tested if you knew what it was then finding the source would be easier

We have ceramic tile and laminate through-out the house. We live in cottage country. Our house turned 3 years old March of this year and is built to all building codes. The thing that perplexes us so much is that nothing has changed in the house over the course of this three years, nothing added and nothing removed. The first year we burnt the stove, 2003-2004 fall and winter season, we burnt it almost day and night and not a single problem. When we started burning it again in October of 2004, within a month we discovered the mess.

I have cleaned every square inch of my house of this mess except for the closet in one of the bedrooms which houses many shelves of paperwork. Tomorrow I am going to empty the closet, wipe down the walls and take the wipe cloth to a lab in the city to have analized. Probably won't get an answer back for some time, but what the heck, I'm not burning the stove anyway at this point.

I do have one question. We purchased a chimney cleaning brush and used it after the 03-04 burning season. The brush is some sort of metal and do you think it is at all possible that using the brush caused some sort of damage inside the stove pipe.

MrGriz said:
I've been quietly following this thread for some time.

Just my .02 and it's not really worth 1/2 of that. Was that pipe, or the stove painted prior to installation? I'm just sitting here smelling the paint cure on the 2200i I just installed and it got me to thinking that if the pipe or stove had been painted with defective or improper paint, it could be giving off some type of material.

You said that on the last test burns the build up was on the windows. They appear to be behind and to the sides of the stove. If the stove were emitting something as it circulated air, wouldn't it be coming from the front of the stove and tend to build up elsewhere first? Whereas an emission or off gassing from the pipe would radiate from all sides.

I'm really just grasping at straws (or pipes).

If I burnt the stove for longer than an hour this stuff would permiate through-out my entire house for sure. It does seem to however attract faster and heavier to colder areas like the windows, exterior walls and ceilings including inside my fridge.

wingnut said:
I guess I should have been more clear on the insents thing. Light a stick and you use the smoke off the stick to help find positive or negative leaks by passing it around all the pipe joints the door seal and so on. Look to see if smoke does anything other than goes strieght up. I just hate to see you chop up a good stove IF its not the stove.

Now do I feel silly or what putting the incence into the stove. :-(

So now I have done what you suggested and held the stick all along the stove pipe from top to bottom, the transition box, around the body of the stove and all around the door...smoke went straight up all the time.

Bozlee said:
I do have one question. We purchased a chimney cleaning brush and used it after the 03-04 burning season. The brush is some sort of metal and do you think it is at all possible that using the brush caused some sort of damage inside the stove pipe.

Burned normally up to this point, hmmm. Has the flue interior been visually inspected for damage? What type of pipe is this? Double or single wall inside, then class A at the ceiling box? What parts of the flue were detached in order to clean it? How is the stove pipe attached to the class A at the ceiling box? Is it correctly locked in place?

just taking a poke because i have been following this thred as well ........ when you fired up your stove did you use the fan? (the stove fan)
I am by no means an expert but find it really hard to understand why that stove would give you those problems IF everything is sealed the way it should be.... what is the beinng changed by the heat.. I know you have spent alot but i would really try to send that stuff out and get it tested which will give you the answer.... it could be an X-FILE thing who knows this is just weird

And you thought I was smoking the stuff!! Good Luck I hope you get it resolved

Status
Not open for further replies.