Osburn 2300 Damping Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Burner

Feb 2, 2015
Northeast Wisconsin
I recently purchased an Osburn 2300, comes with a blower. The stove burns like a champ but I am having trouble damping it down. Short of closing the flue and vent completely I am struggling-- any thoughts would be kindly appreciated. Thank you and stay warm.

Welcome. A modern stove does not allow the air to be fully cut off. This is to prevent smoldering the fire. Usually this works well, but in some cases of strong draft more regulation may be needed. Do you have a thermometer on the stove? If so, what temperatures are you seeing? Also, how tall is the flue system on the stove?

I have the 2300 and love it. I believe all EPA stoves now allow air to come in even when dampened down all the way. This keeps it from becoming a smoke dragon and polluting the air. I use a stovetop thermometer on mine. When the stovetop reaches around 550, I shut it down and it will go to around 650 and cruise there for a while. Of course a lot depends on the wood you are using. If this is to warm for you, you may need to load less wood, but shutting it down completely is impossible. As you experiment with the stove you find what works for you, but it does take a while to figure your new stove out.

its all about where you cut the primary off at. Like BB said he cuts off at 550 and it goes up to 650 and cruises. If u want cooler u can cut off around 350.
U really dont want to do any below that or the secondaries dont burn well (im assuming non-cat stove). u can try different positions depending on how strong your draft is and how dry your wood is will determine what u can get away with. I have a strong draft so i usually have to go full close on primary once i reach the desired burning temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.