Osburn 2300, US stove Magnolia, and various Drolet stoves all the same? See my research and provide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

audiowizard

Sep 9, 2008
Coarsegold, Ca
Ok, long story short is I bought a US stoves Magnolia from tractor supply, so far so good. But while looking for reviews online for the Magnolia I found this, http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf which has the text"New Generation NG 1800/Magnolia 2015" which I found strange as it was listed as a Drolet stove. Then upon further looking I noticed EXTREME simularities between the owners manuals of the drolet "DROLET NG1800 WOODSTOVES:
AUSTRAL, AZIMUTH, BALTIC, LEGEND AND MYRIAD" which appears to be different versions of the same stove, and the Osburn 2300 as well as the US stoves Magnolia. Some of the manuals reference each as a manufacture, such as the US stoves manual mentions Drolet as a licensee, then Drolet mentions Stove builder international as the manufacture. Notice that the technical specs are identical on most things with exception to the overall size of the stove, which will change according to mount etc etc. But the firebox is identical in all, as well as BTU, EPA ratings, and many other specs they line out in all manuals in an identical fashion. All show the same images for the stove as well as distance preferences etc. Now maybe im just on the late train and most are already aware of some generic firebox being used between all of these stoves, but I remember hearing some harp on one and not the other, making reference of Drolet xxx being so great while the US stoves magnolia is basically junk. Whats you thoughts? This also brings me to the question of location of manufacture, as the US stoves is marked as made in China, the Drolet made in Canada etc. Are all these brands under one major label or something? Maybe Im missing something here. Feedback appreciated.
Links for reference
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/pdf/DroletLegendManual.pdf
http://www.usstove.com/Downloads/Owners Manuals/2015 Manual.pdf
http://www.osburn-mfg.com/forcedownload.aspx?strFile=images/poeles/manuel_en/2841410102005961.pdf

Ok, that would explain the simularities there, but it seems strange that US stoves /company has a chinese made stove that is identical in many specs and is mentioned in the same line as the drolet "canadian made" stove within the epa published list. Seems to be a bunch of stoves, some nearly twice the price using what appears to me to be the same identical inner workings?

I got to see a US Stove Magnolia yesterday. It was sitting next to a Summer's Heat - 13 with a hearth base (more on this in another thread, I need to go back and take some pictures.). I too was surprised to see this stove was made in China. It looked nicely made. The welds appear to be robo-welds, they were absolutely smooth. I'm interested in how the stove is working for you, it has an interesting secondary baffle system that looked quite nice. I'll takes some shots of this stove too.

So far its working out well except its been 80 degrees here lately lol. Honestly Im still waiting on some durablack fittings to come from zoobler so I can finish the install. Its a bit longer than I thought and Im going to offset it with some 45's. The stove looks great, the parts and finish seem solid. It is rather light though. The book claims it at 340 lbs or so. After removing the firebricks and door, my neighbor and I were able to throw it around pretty easily. Id say maybe 250 or so without brick or door. It is a large firebox though, Im dying to get it started. This whole epa thing is rather new to me though, I understand that the other brands have removable ss tubing etc where this one is all welded in. Good thing I can tig I guess.

Magnolia is working out great

been burning peach wood, and its about 22% moisture give or take, could be drier

18" above the stove on single wall pipe, showing 275-350 fully open vs fully closed with the 22% moisture peach as mentioned loaded about half way. The secondary vent is fixed and it doesnt allow for alot of slow burn control. With extrememly dry wood I can get more heat and longer secondary burn times. Burn times have been about 4-5 hours full cycle with 5-6 short peach limbs approx 3-4 inches round. I have noticed lack of air control due to cheap ash plug, I used a square of steel a bit larger to block air passage. Fan is a bit noisy, but helps spread heat. Curing paint is obnoxious! Entire house smelled. No complaints otherwise.

Glad ya like the Mag. It should keep the joint cozy this winter.

so far so good, would have rather had the englander, but this stove works well. We only see lows in the high teens anyway, so I dont burn 24 hours a day like some do. Makes me wonder how long that stainless baffle will last with only burn time 8-12 hours a day 4 months out of the year? Guess we will see.

One year later, and I dont regret my choice to buy the Magnolia from US stoves by way of Tractor Supply. Last season we burned most days and the burn time was reasonable, easily getting 4 hours solid with a mix of dry pine and oak. The stove heats EXTREMELY well, to the point of choking it down most times. This has something to do im sure with our vaulted ceiling install, approx 9 ft of chimney pipe is exposed and really provides nice heat making the system very efficient. It starts up easily and likes to have a bit of ash left in her. My chimney temp at 18" above the stove will push the red peak on the thermometer of 450 or so, when full of dry wood with the vent fully closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.