Osburn 2400 insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmymmm

Jan 31, 2014
Wilmington Delaware
Hi All. First time poster. Long time information gatherer.

Been burning my whole life. True airtights in the Catskills when I was a kid, free standing units, fireplaces, inserts etc. Last week, we ripped out a Regency 1300 and replaced it with an Osburn 2400 insert with surround, blower, etc. Professional install job by local store.

I am using good, dry seasoned wood. I have experimented with some of this year's cut, some of last year's cut, and some older wood. All of it is stored properly. It is a mix of oak, maple, gum, beech and cherry (I am a scrounger). I have selected from different parts of covered and protected piles to make sure that I am not sourcing from all one tree/age/location.

I have a 35 foot brick chimney lined with stainless the whole way up, with a capper on top.

The Osburn definitely gets hotter than did the Regency. Even with the draft closed 100%, it roars. I presume this is a function of the greater size firebox. However, my burn times are dramatically cut. I get flames for 2-4 hours, smolder for 4-6, and nothing but a few coals and ashes after that. By the morning, the unit is moderately hot (around 175 degrees) and the blower has been off for hours.

Any suggestions for greater burn times or slowing down the burn? I wish the owners manual identified more information about where the air intake is, so I could see if the draft could be further narrowed or constricted. I feel like all the heat is shooting up the chimney because of the hot burns. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

sounds about right for burn times. by flames I assume you mean secondaries right? You should get between 2-3 hours of secondary action

The 2400 is a large insert (3.0+ cu/ft)...how full are you filling it with splits? My insert is just under 2.5 cu/ft and I have no problems getting 8+ hours of usable heat. By the morning (after 8 hours), my blower is still running and surface temps are easily 250-300.

I completely fill my firebox and generally burn oak/cherry/maple.

35ft of flue is going to suck like a Hoover. You are going to need to retard the draft or restrict the air intake a bit more to gain better control. Normally I would recommend dropping down a size in the liner as a solution, but seeing it's already been installed it might be worth looking from the underside at the air control valve to see how it works and what the options may be.

Remove your blower and look above the air channel for your blower air , you should have a plate with a hole in the middle , take some heat tape and cover half the hole to start with. I read you'll need to fill that stove around every eight hours or so to keep it hot .

Status
Not open for further replies.