1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Osburn 2400i - Can the ceramic glass burn mark be removed?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Don2222, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

My friend has an Osburn 2400i fireplace insert wood burning stove with circulating fan. It is a nice stove, but when a log came within approx 1/2" of the inside glass it left a round burn mark.

Is there any way to get rid of this mark without spending the $140.00 for a new door glass?

A little hard to see in the pic below, but I am sure you guys know. It is a faint round creasote color mark that does not come off with glass cleaner.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Tell them to dampen a paper towel or some newsprint, then dip it into the wood stove ashes and clean the glass with the ash. Ash is gently abrasive and does a good job of glass cleaning.
  3. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Try the ash trick like begreen suggested. It might not remove all of it because I have the same problem dead center of the glass and along the edges. Mine is not noticeable when the stove is burning but when the stove is cold you can see it. Over time the glass is going to get hazy anyway
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    ok, thanks
  5. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    +1 on ash trick. 3 years running and never have anything I couldn't easily wipe away using this method.
  6. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I have the same unit. The ash trick works better than any other cleaners I've tried. Three seasons, and something like 10 cords of wood and my glass is still clean. That should come out. Clean it while the glass is cool.
  7. gregbesia

gregbesia Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central CT
    For really stubborn spots try glass cook top cleaner.