Osburn 45MF Thermistor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori G

Jan 16, 2013
We have a 2008 Osburn 45 MF that had a H1 code. We cleaned out the exhaust and heat exchanger, and reset the stove. When we started the stove back up, it fed pellets, ignited, and after about ten minutes it stopped feeding pellets and went out. I contacted the business where the stove was originally purchased and talked to a service tech. Unfortunately, the store where our stove was purchased is two hours away, so the tech told me that he was 99% sure that it sounded like it was the thermistor. We ordered the part, and it arrived today. However, we cannot locate anything in the stove that looks like the part that we received. I had explained to the service tech that the stove was from 2008, and he still told me that he was almost positive that it was the thermistor. I understand that this part has to do with the temp of the exhaust, and that it reads the temp and tells the stove to continue to feed pellets, but it almost seems like this part is for a newer stove, or looks different from the part we were sent. I read on a parts website that the thermistor is for stoves with a serial number of 1629 or higher, so now I'm wondering if this part will even work with our stove. Two questions- where exactly would this part go, and where do we locate the serial #? Our stove has now been inoperable for three weeks, and I'm getting tired of using oil to heat the house. Help!

Check under your hopper lid for the serial number. As for locating the thermistor, if your stove has one you will see two wires coming off the exhaust pipe froma plug just outside the sheet metal.

ahah! you most likely got sent the wrong part...SBI has done this to me twice. The thermistor is located on the exhaust under a little metal box next to where the pipe connects to the snout. Good luck! If you stove uses a snap disk on the exhaust motor then you have the wrong part if you think you need a thermistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.