Osburn insert install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sc00ter079

Dec 3, 2016
Seven mile
I was just given this osburn extended insert. I have been told inflicting info on the proper install. Some old timers have said just slid it in and I'm good. Some have said run a pipe up past the damper and I'm good. Some have said spend a fortune on one of the stainless 6" full length flex. So my issue is I don't have the money for the entire liner right now. So what should I do to have a safe efficient set up. I will say right before we moved in the seller put in a stainless liner all the way up the flue. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you for any advice and sorry for the poor pics. The insert is not in my hands yet but will arrive this week. 18aab167467f16398af082805ea9c74a.jpgb268375bcaf58ec6a91b702cc5e956e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the liner is already installed? Can you tell what size and style it is? The only safe way to install is to directly connect it to a stainless liner designed for wood. Does the liner drop down into the fire place far enough to hook to the stove? You'll likely need a 30 degree Stainless adapter to hook the stove to the liner and the proper clamps. Pics of the fire place and up the flue would be helpful.

The old boys need to update their advice book. It's no longer allowed to just slide it in and run the stove. And with a 6" flue the results could be poor at best and fatal if draft reversed while sleeping. A full liner is the way to make this stove work right. Tell us about the stainless liner that is in the chimney now. What diameter is it and where does it terminate on the bottom?

The old boys need to update their advice book. It's no longer allowed to just slide it in and run the stove. And with a 6" flue the results could be poor at best and fatal if draft reversed while sleeping. A full liner is the way to make this stove work right. Tell us about the stainless liner that is in the chimney now. What diameter is it and where does it terminate on the bottom?

There is a 10" stainless liner now that runs the length of the flue. But does not drop down any further

Masonry fireplace or zero clearance?

How long is the liner in it? Is the 10" a stainless flex liner? Is it round? if its already insulated you may be able to run a 6" liner down it ( someone will be along to verify if this is allowed). Probably looking at 5-600 + install. Not sure if it would be worth it to pull the liner and sell it and use the proceeds for a new one. 10" liner is about 3 times the price of 6". So if it's already insulated and you can run a 6" down it that would be the cheapest and easiest. If you have to insulate then a 6" probably wouldn't fit and you would need to pull the old liner and start new. Either way you need a 6" liner.

Last edited:
Very simple on what to do, wait until you have the $$ to install the proper liner if the stove is made for your fireplace.

Agreed, I would save up and install a full 6" liner.

I agree with you all. I'd rather it be right the first time and not have to second guess my families safety

Status
Not open for further replies.